PDA

View Full Version : Control arm confusion :S

choccibicci
08-08-2007, 04:22 AM
I'm about to replace all front end control bushings with Powerflex bushings (thanks for the suggestion!), and am currently looking for new arms as well.
I see there are two type of arms, steel and aluminium. I've got a '93 540, which I gather use aluminium arms as does the M5 & 535?

Therefore I guess I need to replace the arms like for like? Or am I missing something here?!

TIA

Paul in NZ
08-08-2007, 04:32 AM
aluminium arms might have been std on the m5 i dont think any other model had them as std,unless they were part of a sports pack or something.You dont have to use aluminium even if your car has aluminium arms,i guess it lowers unsprung weight a bit.

Zeuk in Oz
08-08-2007, 05:40 AM
I'm about to replace all front end control bushings with Powerflex bushings (thanks for the suggestion!), and am currently looking for new arms as well.
I see there are two type of arms, steel and aluminium. I've got a '93 540, which I gather use aluminium arms as does the M5 & 535?

Therefore I guess I need to replace the arms like for like? Or am I missing something here?!

TIA
Given that aluminium will be dearer than steel, there is no reason that you can't use steel, but as Paul said it weighs more. I think Jeff (632 Regal) replaced his with steel if I recall correctly.

Ferret
08-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Given that aluminium will be dearer than steel, there is no reason that you can't use steel, but as Paul said it weighs more. I think Jeff (632 Regal) replaced his with steel if I recall correctly.

The TDS is fitted with alu as standard - I've just changed em to new steel and havent looked back.

g7syw
08-08-2007, 07:07 AM

I changed my TCAs and Thrust bushes last weekend, ali TCAs were fitted to the car but I've replaced them with steel ones - saved some cash in the process as the ali ones are more expensive. The ali arms are slightly bigger in size (that's cross section - not length :))

I didn't think to weigh them and the steel one to compare the difference, but I don't think there's very much in it...