PDA

View Full Version : loud clunk when braking from reverse??

filip00
08-08-2007, 02:07 AM
so, i'm experiencing something really weird. i go in reverse, drive a bit, and when i apply the brakes, i hear a fairly loud clunk from the front, it occurs ONCE when the brakes are applied, and that's it. it brakes normally, goes normally, it just gives me that clunk when i go in reverse and when i brake, i hear it *clunk* but it brakes.

what the hell could that be??

Omega
08-08-2007, 05:46 AM
One of your brake pads is sticking on the shelf in the caliper that allow the pad to move in and out relative to the disc.

Had the same issue with my 525. Reverse and clunk, but only the once for that day and it didn.t mater if the car was reversed first thing or last thing in the journey.

Simple cure is to remove the pads, clean up the caliper. Apply a very small amount of copper grease to the locating lugs on the pads and re-assemble.

I believe it was a build up of brake dust caused by cheap pads and an auto gearbox so the brakes get used more. In the end I just learnt to live with it, the e34 only did journeys in stop-start traffic so the pads were constantly creating dust.

632 Regal
08-08-2007, 07:53 AM
if Omegas fix dont do it I would say its a ball joint, especially if it clunks while creeping slowly and jabbing the brakes.

Tiger
08-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Either capiper retaining bolt is loose on one side...

or...

Suspension bushing gone...

or

Something loosy in steering.

bmwrp8
08-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Either capiper retaining bolt is loose on one side...

or...

Suspension bushing gone...

or

Something loosy in steering.

x2

filip00
08-08-2007, 10:55 AM
thanks for quick replies.

well, it appears to come from the right front wheel. i already disassembled the caliper, but the brakes were fine. i also did an inspection on the bearing, well, i just tried jerking it and spining it by hand, and it all seemed quite normal.

there is however a slight play in steering, which i think wasn't there before.

i will have my mechanic check the ball joint...

anyone else have any ideas, please share

cheers

Podmore
08-09-2007, 05:39 AM
I have exactly the same symptom - a clunk from the front when moving in reverse and applying brakes. Nothing else. Nothing has fallen off. brakes work fine, so I'm currently applying the wait and see solution ...

Tiger
08-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Mmm... engine mount?

632 Regal
08-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Balljoint
Mmm... engine mount?

RobPatt
08-09-2007, 05:17 PM
just started week ago... when I go to roll in reverse out of the garage, and just genly press the brake, I get a noticeable click or something..but it ain't a clunk... like the brake caliper or soemthing aint' sitting quite right... but THATs all, drives, stops, everything perfect, no shimmy... wtfo?

I have exactly the same symptom - a clunk from the front when moving in reverse and applying brakes. Nothing else. Nothing has fallen off. brakes work fine, so I'm currently applying the wait and see solution ...

uscharalph
08-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Shock mounts?

Qube
08-10-2007, 12:56 AM
Same. Though... not really loud. I posted before. Feels like ABS type judder.

filip00
11-12-2007, 08:51 PM
to solve this problem as well, it was one rubber joint that was loose.

this one here:

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/8967/90374162ic4.png

number 6!