PDA

View Full Version : 17X8'S with 245/45/17's

mamilapon
08-07-2007, 02:29 AM
Is anybody running those wheels and tyres and has had problems with shaking at 60mph (80kph)? Have you been able to cure the problem?I'm thinking of a complete front refurbish 'cause i cant "shake the shake":(

Barney Paull-Edwards
08-07-2007, 03:04 AM
Is anybody running those wheels and tyres and has had problems with shaking at 60mph (80kph)? Have you been able to cure the problem?I'm thinking of a complete front refurbish 'cause i cant "shake the shake":(
Repeat after me, get hub-centric rings! Lots of threads on this, do search. Put your ols standard wheels back on, if problem is not there then if 17`s were properly balanced then thats the problem.;)

Fred/Houston
08-07-2007, 08:41 AM
I just got some new wheels for my 94"/540ia off of a 330 and had to use spacers. I get the shakes at 50mph and had to put my original wheels back on.
The problem is that when you lengthen your wheelbase by adding spacers problems with your front end will show up right away because there is more stress to the tierods and control arms due to the extended length.
I just bought a new set of both, but my car needed it anyways and the spacers gave me an early report on what was going to go out next.
When I put new wheels on my E28 it was a matter of getting hub-centric rings and the shake was gone.
As soon as I install new tierods & control arms on the E34 I will be putting those wheels back on.
Hth's
Fred/Houston

Paul in NZ
08-08-2007, 05:18 AM
bibber wheels and tyres will show up any weaknesses in the front suspension straight away
1) hub centric rings if yur whhels dont have the correct hub dia(72.5MM)
2) make sure wheels are not bent
3) make sure whels are balanced well
4) make sure tyres have no faults
5) make sure the wheels have the correct offset,as per above.(Fred)