PDA

View Full Version : Lubro Moly Renewal w/ Nikasil

Macv
08-06-2007, 09:26 PM
So some friends of mine bought me the Lubro Moly Engine Renewal kit for my 18th and I havn't used it because I haven't changed my oil. Its coming around to oil changing time and I'm wanting to use this kit, however I wanted to ask if it would have any effect on the Nikasil lining of my engine.

I wouldn't think that it would hurt, but I've dodged many bullets before and don't want to take the chance.

Lubro Moly Renewal kit in a Nikasil m60.... no or go?

Barney Paull-Edwards
08-07-2007, 03:14 AM
So some friends of mine bought me the Lubro Moly Engine Renewal kit for my 18th and I havn't used it because I haven't changed my oil. Its coming around to oil changing time and I'm wanting to use this kit, however I wanted to ask if it would have any effect on the Nikasil lining of my engine.

I wouldn't think that it would hurt, but I've dodged many bullets before and don't want to take the chance.

Lubro Moly Renewal kit in a Nikasil m60.... no or go?
Nikasil problem is caused by sulphur in chaep fuel from supermarkets etc so moly will do no harm,might help in other areas.

saluki540i
08-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Becoming a bigger fan of "if it ain't broke" but hey, my M6o Nikasil has only 76 ooo on it. Probably should drive it one of these days.

pingu
08-08-2007, 07:00 AM
I think Macv might have been asking about moly because moly is usualy used in the form of molybdenum disulphide, i.e. it contains sulphur.

I agree that moly won't do any harm - from what I can tell, nikasil problem was caused over the course of many miles of burning high sulphur fuels. A tiny bit of sulphur in the oil (as opposed to sulphur in the fuel, which is burnt in the combustion chamber) shouldn't matter.

Macv
08-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Oh duh.... I didn't stop to think that it would be in the engine and not the cylinders. The kit does have something you put in the gas, but the majority is put into the block. Thanks for the insight pingu.

yaofeng
08-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Becoming a bigger fan of "if it ain't broke" but hey, my M6o Nikasil has only 76 ooo on it. Probably should drive it one of these days.

Mine have you beat by 10k miles at 66k in a 144k body.

Morgenster
08-08-2007, 10:59 AM
If it's this kit:

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=LMERK&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googlebase&utm_source=LMERK

then I don't think there's any MoS2 in it. It's basically a bunch of bottles of injection cleaners and some motor oil detergents. moly refers to the company name. They only have one additive and motor oil with MoS2.

Macv
08-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Thats the kit. I mainly posted because I'm feeling the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing. I'm just having bad thoughts about putting foreign substances in my engine. However.... it was free and I've heard great things about this system.

saluki540i
08-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Mine have you beat by 10k miles at 66k in a 144k body.
I think we should add some mileage to yours because you cheated with a different body. LOL

Ross
08-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Thank your friends as their heart was in the right place but don't use miracle cures in your engine. Maybe it won't hurt, if you don't use it it certainly wont.

Macv
08-08-2007, 08:43 PM
if you don't use it it certainly wont

Heh.... probably the best advice.