PDA

View Full Version : Door Stuck! It Won't Open

brianwolf3
08-05-2007, 02:46 AM
I have a 1989 525 and the rear driver door wont open. It is stuck on lock and wont open. I tried pulling up on the lock but it wont move. When you push down the driver lock I dont hear any noise in the rear door like it is trying to unlock. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? Thanks

genphreak
08-05-2007, 06:09 AM
It is dead locked and the actuator is dead or needs re-adjusting.

Don't force it. Get someone to use the key to local and unlock the passenger door (ie on and off the full deadlock position) a few times whilst you pull up gently/jiggle on the button form inside until it frees up, then you can open the door, carefully remove the card (beware brittle fasteners) and see if the actuator is working/adjust it's mounting position if it is or repair/replace if not. Only other problem it could be is the driver's microswitch (tho unliklely as this is a common problem many see). If it won't free you will have to remove the door card with the door closed- difficult but you can search this forum for the procedure to do this.

blackpawn5
08-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Did u recently do some door panel work? if u removed the window switch and power source,it automatically locks up the door because there is no electricity running to the actuator. It may have become disconnected but really unlikely. Thats my two cents. Prolly the llock acutator is broken. Goodluck

nirvana19
08-06-2007, 07:56 AM
EDIT: try genphreaks method first though, I locked and unlocked the doors hundreds of times in vain but never jiggled the lock WHILE doing that.

Same thing happened to me, except passenger rear. Its deadlocked, the actuator has failed and is stuck in the locked position. There was a thread on a way to open it on here (I can't find it with search now, maybe someone else knows what i'm talking about) though that didn't work for me personally. Basically you remove all the trim around the door and remove all the screws for the door panel. You want to pull the door panel open slightly so you can get some sort of wire hook type thing and pull linkage between door handle and the panel off.

I was stuck at this step and happened to have the car in a shop for inspection, long story short I accidentally paid the guy 300 dollars to just pull the panel off. I don't want to talk about it lol.

But its really just a matter of pulling and prying and releasing the clips on the panel, and with the trim around the door pulled off its possible to remove the panel with the door closed. Then its easy to remove the actuator and voila your door will manually lock and unlock. I have yet to replace the actuator as they're a bit hard to come by, but it locks manually just fine (no deadlocking though).

Hope this helps

uls
08-19-2007, 09:38 PM
hi, i think i have a similar problem to the above.
i have a 1989 525i and my driver's door won't lock. When i turn the key all the other doors lock and the alarm is engaged but the drivers door doesn't lock. When i open the door (if i have locked it) the alarm goes off. I cant even push the button down it seems stuck. Also when i go to unlock the doors the central locking quickly 're-locks' until i do it a second time, and then it works. (in other words i have to unlock my car twice before i can get in even though my drivers door isn't locked..??)

i am wondering if this is the door actuator or something? is it easliy fixed -because i have very little knowlege/experiance?
thanks.