PDA

View Full Version : Questions about M5 license fill plate

Jon K
08-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Hey guys got my M5 plate from Abrahams Motorsport in timely manner, as well. I have a couple questions though:

1) Am I supposed to drill 2 holes in my trunk lid on either end of where the plate filler goes? There is an insert and a clip, that seems to fit as if there were a hole there, but obviously on a non-m5 there is not.

(I only got one grommet and clip for this so I'll need another yet)

2) The lock cylinder ring doesn't seem to want to go over the lock button. Maybe I just need to figure it out but it obviously is designed to go where the lock is, but its not quite going over it.

CharlesAFerg
08-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Hey guys got my M5 plate from Abrahams Motorsport in timely manner, as well. I have a couple questions though:

1) Am I supposed to drill 2 holes in my trunk lid on either end of where the plate filler goes? There is an insert and a clip, that seems to fit as if there were a hole there, but obviously on a non-m5 there is not.

(I only got one grommet and clip for this so I'll need another yet)

2) The lock cylinder ring doesn't seem to want to go over the lock button. Maybe I just need to figure it out but it obviously is designed to go where the lock is, but its not quite going over it.

realOEM has really good pictures and part numbers for this - I know there are different parts for the lock, something actually has to be removed and/or replaced there.

I just put my plate frame on with double sided tape, it's insanely secure. It took me an hour to get it off one time to replace my tail lights...

Macv
08-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Black or Red?

Jon K
08-04-2007, 10:58 PM
black

Macv
08-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Ooo Ooo, will be awaiting pics.

CharlesAFerg
08-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Ooo Ooo, will be awaiting pics.

I've got one that looks like the red one, spaced for a euro plate - but "black"smoked. If you're familiar with how the red looks like lights, this is the same way, made for Hella smoked tails.

Haven't installed it because I have the normal black plastic M5 one on now, but I bet it looks awesome.

Macv
08-04-2007, 11:17 PM
My smoked Hellas came with the black smoked filler and I sold it. I've half way regretted it ever since. I felt it made the car looked too aged, but it's grown on me.

markus
08-04-2007, 11:18 PM
i just used the existing screw holes and viola!

CharlesAFerg
08-04-2007, 11:25 PM
i just used the existing screw holes and viola!

Oh yes, those too - I completely forgot, thanks markus.

Omega
08-06-2007, 02:30 AM
Jon

You can fit a supercharger, then a turbocharger along with MegaSquirt but a piece of plastic trim stops you dead in your tracks.

I am worried.... :p

Ferret
08-06-2007, 03:26 AM
Jon

You can fit a supercharger, then a turbocharger along with MegaSquirt but a piece of plastic trim stops you dead in your tracks.

I am worried.... :p

lmao
+1

Jon K
08-06-2007, 05:23 AM
Um.. not to be an ass, it didn't stop me in my tracks, there is a grommet that looks like I need to drill the trunk lid - I am all for it, but before I put a 1/4" hole in my trunk lid, I'd like to know if other people used these or not. Mel Abrahams only sent me the one grommet/plug, so I need a second anyway. The filler plate was sure easy to put on without using this, but I am a little more picky and the bottom sticks out past the trunk lid, and so... if anything, I am trying to do it right ;)

MTV
08-06-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm not really sure but I think the US version M5 license plate filler should not stick out. I have the Euro version which came with the grommets but I did not use the grommets at all (Didn't feel like drilling holes to the body). The filler came with an adhesive tape attached to the bottom of it to keep it as flat as possible to the surface area.

I also purchased the US version which I tried on and it did not stick out at all. Just make sure that it is fit snuggly and correctly at the upper portion where the license plate lights are located. I decided to go with the Euro version because my sons gave me original Zoll (Export) plates a while back.

Here is a pic. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/77Toy/DSC00307.jpg

uscharalph
08-07-2007, 02:31 AM
Here's a picture of mine (It's the european version by the way):

CharlesAFerg
08-07-2007, 02:33 AM
Oh, and you've got to remove the little plastic panel piece that goes around the license plate lights.