PDA

View Full Version : Can I do it all? Need your opinion.

Alpinewhite
08-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Hi All,

I took my car to a mechanic for inspection and oil change. He gave me this list of things to do:

1. Sway bar links - front and rear
2. Oil leak in upper timing cover and also possibly valve cover
3. Control arms and thrust arms

I am working on car only for a year. This is the only car I have ever worked on. So far with the help of the forums (this one and an another) I have done Intake seals, Tranny filter, Oil pan gasket, Oil change and filters, Coolant flush, Brake fluid. Do you think I can do it all myself? I am willing to but at the same time I am quite cynical whether I can do it.

Regarding tools: I have pretty much all sockets, 3 ratchets, open end and box end wrenches, Jack, Jack stands, Rhino ramps, Pry bar, and other miscellaneous stuff. I will add some metric offset box end wrench set soon. I am thinking of investing in some power tools. What are the necessary power tools; the ones that you are glad you bought them. Can I use electrical corded or cordless Impact wrench instead of pneumatic one for the front end job? Also I dont want to buy air tools since I dont have a garage and I am using my colleagues place.

Thanks for listening
Arun

Evan
08-04-2007, 01:15 PM
sway bar links are simple..

upper timing covers aren't difficult either...

control arms and thrust arms.. they've been discussed in here ad nauseum

you can do it!

Sidney Rough-Diamond
08-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Sway links are easy enough. Not done the timing case cover,so not sure. Valve cover gaskets are easy. replacing old arms shouldn't be that bad as long as your new parts have the bushes installed - not all thrust arms do.
Now my turn to ask you a question - when you did the lower oil pan, did you use any sealent on the metal gasket ?

Evan
08-04-2007, 01:35 PM
I didn't... just get a new gasket and torque the bolts properly...

g7syw
08-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Go for it... It's not as difficult as it probably appears to you. I had similar thoughts especially after looking at loads of pics (some of which were confusing!!) but it's all quite striaght forward and simple.
As already mentioned, get the thrust arms with the bushes already installed unless you have access to a press - at a pinch, it is possible to push the bushes in using a large, very heavy duty bench vice, just make sure you get them in square & apply even pressure...

Zeuk in Oz
08-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Sounds to me like you have tools for the job.

Have a go - just take your time.

If I can do these, anyone can ! :D

Just saw in your profile that you are an engineer. Are you having us on ?

I am also a little suprised that you are not doing your own engine oil changes.

Alpinewhite
08-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Actually there was a lot of sealant goop in the old seal and the mating surface. I removed them all and installed the new BMW one with all new bolts. It going good so far for 5 months. I dont think the sealant is needed if you do it slow and make sure the seal is perfectly aligned.

Thanks for your response
Arun

Alpinewhite
08-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for your response. I buying the lemforder ones with 750i bushings pre installed from bruno's site. I wouldnt dare to press the bushings myself.

Thanks
Arun

Alpinewhite
08-05-2007, 01:04 PM
I have been doing oil change for the last three times. I took it to a mechanic so he can do some professional inspection and give me an idea of what needs attention in the near future. This way I hope to catch things that I miss. And also I dont have an oil change light reset tool.

And I am a software engineer. All I was taught is how to use keyboard :) and a load of programing languages. How much I wish I had taken up automobile or aerospace engineering. May be I can somehow contribute to junk load of programs that goes in to today's cars.

Thanks
Arun

infurno
08-05-2007, 01:24 PM
I have been doing oil change for the last three times. I took it to a mechanic so he can do some professional inspection and give me an idea of what needs attention in the near future. This way I hope to catch things that I miss. And also I dont have an oil change light reset tool.

And I am a software engineer. All I was taught is how to use keyboard :) and a load of programing languages. How much I wish I had taken up automobile or aerospace engineering. May be I can somehow contribute to junk load of programs that goes in to today's cars.

Thanks
Arun

software_engineer++;

If you want an idea of what control arms and thrust arms will be like take a look at my thread bushings question (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=34472)

Honestly its easy, about 6 nuts/bolts per side and you should be done in no time unless you run into problems like me. Stuck bolts are a nightmare, I spent 8 hours yesterday on just one. Now that its stripped im trying to get to the boot by taking the breaks and rotors off, unfortunately I have another stuck screw or 2 on the rotor.

My advice is do all your homework, and make sure you have the exact tools you need before you start.

Ross
08-05-2007, 03:23 PM
No problem for you on these things.
For the suspension you will need good quality tools. Six point 1/2 " drive sockets wont round off the big nuts(22mm) that hold things together, if you don't have a long breaker bar buy a good one. Most of the problems people talk about here regarding suspension I suspect are due to inadequate tools.