PDA

View Full Version : Been lurking, 1st post - thanks to Bimmer Nut Ed for letting me in here...

g7syw
08-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Hi to everyone...

Let me introduce myself and my new love...

My name is Rod, I live in Essex in the UK and for a long time now (abt 16 yrs - kids taking all my cash!!) I've been driving ordinary family cars until 3 weeks ago when I found the new love of my life - a 1994 525i - been sitting on a guys drive for just over two years without moving an inch.

First thoughts - it's never going to start, it smells damp & I bet the handrake is siezed on solid...

OK, dead battery - jump leads out and after a few cranks she leapt into life as though waking from a sleep. A few puffs of smoke and she sat there purring like she'd never been left... Let's try moving her - WOW!! the handbrake hadn't siezed and after slipping her into reverse moved her slowly and gently down the drive, the brakes worked too.

After a bit of haggling I got the guy to agree to fit a new battery and get the car through the annual roadworthiness test and I would take the car away for a very reasonable sum, turns out he had to replace a track rod end, screen washer pump, rear rotors and pads plus a couple of minor bits to pass the test...

She's now all mine - yippee!!!

So what have I done in the time I've had her... I spent a day cleaning the interior and another day on the exterior, a good wash down and four coats of wax later she looks pretty. I'm honestly surprised that for a car that's been left standing for two years that the paintwork has come up so well. There's a few small marks on the bodywork but nothing I can't live with.

Unfortunately, the cam cover gasket had begun to deteriorate and leak oil so I've replaced that, one of the rear doors wouldn't open from the inside - the end had broken off the operating cable - replaced that, the blower wasn't working properly, replaced the resistor pack.. Oooh, the damp smell - bucket loads of air freshener has got rid of that

Today, I've spent curing the "famous" 50-60 mph shimmy - I spent ages reading through the posts on here and woondered should I attempt it or take it to the dealer. Then I made my mind up, I've done more complicated stuff in the past so what have I got to lose?

So armed with new track control arms, thrust arms and bushes, breaker bar, ball joint splitter and gallons of WD40 I set about the job. Well, it wasn't that difficult, I didn't even get the one bolt that won't come undone symptom. She's all back together again and the shimmy has gone...

What;'s next on my to-do list - go out & show her off, of course...

Looks like I'm going to be in love for a long time now.....

Sorry for waffling on, but that's all about me and my new love.

632 Regal
08-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Congratulations and welcome Rod. You have accomplised a lot of work without whining like a little kid. I was also impressed at how easy most things are to work on, much easier then the old Detroit metal that was my mainstay.

BFEINZIMER
08-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Mad E34 love is in the air!

Sam-Son
08-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Congrats and good luck! Got anymore pics?

bmwrp8
08-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Welcome to the family of e34 world:D If you don't know this yet this is a very helpful, here's the link http://www.bmwe34.net/ And buy a bently manual also to complete everything

g7syw
08-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Hi guys & thanks for the warm welcome and positive comments.

Sam-Son, in reply to your question, yep here's a few more pics for you, I'll add a few interior pics soon... now a question for you, in your sig you have "euro smilies" - I may be being a bit dumb here - but what are these?

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z6/g7syw/oblique.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z6/g7syw/front-unlit.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z6/g7syw/passenger.jpg

Zeuk in Oz
08-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Welcome.

Nice car ! :)

Euro smilies are the headlights that you already have - if you look they look like a smiling face - these were not standard in US spec cars, AFAIK, so our cousins in the US covet them. ;)