PDA

View Full Version : Which Oil Filter?

artguy
08-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Recently bought a '94 530i with 187k on it and I went looking for an oil filter on Bavarian Auto, but they state, Warning! Must check oil filter to see if it has metal ends or plastic ends.

Obviously I can look and see which filter is currently in the canister, but the car was owned by a young guy who likely bought a filter from the local AutoZone. So how do I know if he put the correct filter in?

Is there a way to tell from a serial number or engine compartment sticker which filter is supposed to be used?

Thanks! :D

winfred
08-03-2007, 09:37 PM
theres a early and a late filter, theres a plastic insert that changes it to the later style, no real way to tell what it has without opening it up, no big deal just unscrew it and take a look, the big plastic nut is 36mm

Zeuk in Oz
08-04-2007, 07:43 PM
I must admit I buy oil filters from the dealer.

I have always found copies were never quite the same - specially cartridge filters that had different numbers of holes or different hole sizes - always worried me.

Dealer should be able to tell from your Vin number which filter you need.

wingman
08-04-2007, 08:36 PM
I also buy genuine filters. They cost only a few dollars more than after market and I know they are going to be the right ones.

Shankster
08-04-2007, 08:43 PM
When i first bought the vehicle, the dealership parts counter informed me that the metal kind is almost never ever seen anymore. They were all replaced with the plastic kind if the car had an oil service at a dealership. Sure enough my car had the plastic end cap style filter. Runs about 10 bucks at the dealership.

YMMV

Recently bought a '94 530i with 187k on it and I went looking for an oil filter on Bavarian Auto, but they state, Warning! Must check oil filter to see if it has metal ends or plastic ends.

Obviously I can look and see which filter is currently in the canister, but the car was owned by a young guy who likely bought a filter from the local AutoZone. So how do I know if he put the correct filter in?

Is there a way to tell from a serial number or engine compartment sticker which filter is supposed to be used?

Thanks! :D

artguy
08-07-2007, 05:43 AM
Thanks guys for the input. I cracked it open and it appears to be a plastic one. It makes sense that they converted over to plastic over the years. Cost savings I suppose. I appreciate the help.

JoshsE34-M50
08-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Once I ordered a filter from one of the catalogs I normally deal with (normally they are great), but the o-ring for the long bolt that holds on the cover was not in the kit. Luckily the old o-ring was in reasonably good shape. My filters now come from the dealership.

632 Regal
08-11-2007, 10:26 PM
what there is, is a plastic dildo that fits over the original metal tube which allows the newer plastic end filter to fit and actually be more efficient then the earlier counterpart filter with the metal ends. The dildo does wear out after time and need replacement after about 4 filter changes so if you want to order one order 2 to save on shipping.

Thanks guys for the input. I cracked it open and it appears to be a plastic one. It makes sense that they converted over to plastic over the years. Cost savings I suppose. I appreciate the help.

glen-sj
08-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Go to this website for OEM parts. Input your vin number for your specific car.
www.Realoem.com. Hope this help.
glen-sj:)