PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be owner with a bunch of questions

Dragunov
08-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Hey there fellow BMW lovers, Dragunov from Hungary here!

I'm a student. I fell in love with E34's a long time ago, and I'll soon be in the position to finally buy one. There's no problem with that, and i understand if they are maintained well they're like tanks. But i also heard maintenance is very expensive, as well as fuel, i heard she eats 12 litres on 100 kilometers.

So my first question is, that if i buy a continuously maintained 525i or a 540i in the $5000 price range, am i going to have a lot of problems with it?
I'm not anywhere near the wealthy category, but i estimate i'll be able to put aside about $250-350 each month when i get a job, and i'm willing to spend it all on the car if i have to. So is that going to be enough to keep her satisfied?

My second question is related to the actual purchase.

What are the E34's common problems i should look out for when looking for a car, in addition to the obvious stuff like checking electronics, rust and such?

This would be all for now, but i'm sure i'll pop up with more questions later. Sorry about my english, i hope you can still understand me

Thanks for replies in advance.

2fast
08-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi there and welcome.
Check out this site and read it all its a good place to start.
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/what_will_break.htm

This should answer most of your questions.

Dragunov
08-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks, that site helped a lot! It also raised another question: How do i know if the engine's nikasil or alusil?

Qube
08-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Soon to be 540i or 525i
540.[/B

But i also heard maintenance is very expensive
[B]No.

as well as fuel, i heard she eats 12 litres on 100 kilometers.
Yes.

So my first question is, that if i buy a continuously maintained 525i or a 540i in the $5000 price range, am i going to have a lot of problems with it?
No.

I'm not anywhere near the wealthy category, but i estimate i'll be able to put aside about $250-350 each month when i get a job, and i'm willing to spend it all on the car if i have to. So is that going to be enough to keep her satisfied?
Mmmm... I would say yes, though it could be one month you spend $600 and the next, nothing.

What are the E34's common problems i should look out for when looking for a car, in addition to the obvious stuff like checking electronics, rust and such?
Check the links... like bmwe34.net and get a Bentley manual

John in CT
08-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Dragunov;

Forget the V8 540, it will never fit your budget, either fuel or repairs wil kill you. Nobody gets one of these complicated cars all figured out and then sells it, they sell the dogs, and the dogs will kill you financially real fast. Stick with a '94-'95 525 5 speed, avoid the auto gear box. 8 l/100 kn on the motorway...

Good luck,

John

Macv
08-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Dragunov;

Forget the V8 540, it will never fit your budget, either fuel or repairs wil kill you. Nobody gets one of these complicated cars all figured out and then sells it, they sell the dogs, and the dogs will kill you financially real fast. Stick with a '94-'95 525 5 speed, avoid the auto gear box. 8 l/100 kn on the motorway...

Good luck,

John

As much as I love my 540i, if you're looking for cheap to maintain and relatively easier on the gas bill, steer clear of the m60. Nikasil or not, it'll blow you away unless you can hold a job and keep money coming in for it. Being a student myself, I know its possible as I've bought and maintained mine since I was 17.

However, you wont have as much fun in the 525 as the 540. :D :D :D

Macv
08-03-2007, 07:13 PM
How do i know if the engine's nikasil or alusil?

Search Wikipedia for m60 and you'll find a list of the block numbers for Nikasil and Alusil blocks. I think if you get under the car on the passenger side and look up at the block you can see the numbers. I'm sure somebody on here will clarify.

Dragunov
08-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the comments!

Uh-oh i'm getting opposing advice here. I really fancied the 540 becouse if i buy something i usually want the best version of it. Knowing myself i wouldn't be satisfied with anything less, especially since i keep hearing that the 525 is weak. But if i can't keep a 540 together, then it's not an option, i want to take good care of it.

Now i forgot to mention one very important part, it's not gonna be a daily driver. Mainly just fun/project and in case i'm in a big hurry so gas miliage isn't really that important for me. We have top-notch public transport over here anyways.

The onyl thing i'm worried about now is maintenance, John saying repairs will kill me if i choose the 540 is kind of... scary. Qube on the other hand says it wouldn't be that expensive. So who to believe now?

So now taking into consideration that it's not gonna be a daily driver, is it still going to be hell to maintain with the 250-300 bucks budget/month?

Evan
08-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Welcome!

Don't buy one unless it has an excellent service history.

Try to find a 540, if possible.. low miles.. and dno't drive it hard.. you'll love it.

On the other hand, if you find a high mile car, you'll have a difficult time with maintenance.. it can get very expensive very quickly.

2Fast made an excellent suggestion... www.bmwe34.net is the best place for you to start!

Macv
08-03-2007, 08:16 PM
If it's not a daily driver I say go for it. You'll love upgrading little pieces at a time then having the ability to blow doors off people when you drive-- something you can't always do in a 525 (sorry guys :D).

If you buy one in nice shape you'll be alright. I bought mine with 173k on a Nikasil block and have had very few problems. Lucky I guess as others can have a mess with the v8's.

John in CT
08-03-2007, 08:26 PM
I'll qualify my remarks a little, who will be turning the wrenches? If you are bringing the car to a shop with normal rates, I stand by my comments about the car being very expensive to maintain. If you are good with wrenches yourself, that's better, but parts are not free. My 1995 525i 5 speed is not fast and as you say the 540 was the top of the range. It's impossible to predict the repair costs for a twelve year old car but the V8 will be more, there's more stuff to break, just price the exhaust for example...

Good luck,

John
1995 525i 5 speed

632 Regal
08-03-2007, 08:42 PM
If you get a good and well maintained 540 you should be good to go on the maintenance...as long as you do the repairs yourself, this is why we are here. There isnt too many stuck up rich bimmer owners here, we all (most?) try to help when a problem arises. If your going to be taking the car in for every little silly repair then dont even think about buying one. I have the 530 Nikasil option, bought it at 136k miles and now at 203k, only thing i did to the car was front suspension, shocks all around, lower it, coil packs, plugs, injectors and brakes. Sounds like a lot but well within your budget.

good luck Dragunov!

Thanks for the comments!

Uh-oh i'm getting opposing advice here. I really fancied the 540 becouse if i buy something i usually want the best version of it. Knowing myself i wouldn't be satisfied with anything less, especially since i keep hearing that the 525 is weak. But if i can't keep a 540 together, then it's not an option, i want to take good care of it.

Now i forgot to mention one very important part, it's not gonna be a daily driver. Mainly just fun/project and in case i'm in a big hurry so gas miliage isn't really that important for me. We have top-notch public transport over here anyways.

The onyl thing i'm worried about now is maintenance, John saying repairs will kill me if i choose the 540 is kind of... scary. Qube on the other hand says it wouldn't be that expensive. So who to believe now?

So now taking into consideration that it's not gonna be a daily driver, is it still going to be hell to maintain with the 250-300 bucks budget/month?

Paul in NZ
08-03-2007, 08:43 PM
get the 540,esp if you dont intend to run it everday.Get the nicest one you can find,not necesarily the lowest mileage one.Look out for a 540 six speed,one drive will convince you why.They will be the most expensive e 34 to maintain(outside of an M5) but basic costs wont vary much between one E34 model and the Next.Perscribed sirvice intervals are about 12000-15000 km aprt.Its easy to spend hundreds at a time if you take it to a workshop.

Macv
08-03-2007, 10:23 PM
There isnt too many stuck up rich bimmer owners here, we all (most?) try to help when a problem arises.

Bimmer.info > Bentley. :)

bsell
08-04-2007, 01:45 AM
Dragunov;

Good luck,

John

And here I thought my crap gas mileage with my 525 auto was due to the wide tires and aero kit. You say they all drink the gas? I figured the 2.5L engine would be more economical. So much for thinking.

I can't tell you how many 2.0L E34's I see for sale around here (Kaiserslautern, Germany). I figured everybody was chasing better mileage so they bought the smallest engine they could. But going by my experience, I wonder if the 2.0L engines get even worse mileage?

Brian

Dragunov
08-04-2007, 06:06 AM
Thanks once again, i'm getting the 540 then.

Yes i intend to do every repair i can do myself. I'm not really an expert of engines right now, but i understand things easily and learn fast, plus i have a helpful bunch of BMW fans(you guys) in my aid, so whatever i can do myself, i will. I guess that makes things easier, i could save a lot on labor.

Are those 6 speeds rare in this part of europe?

Dragunov
08-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Also, is the CD43 any good with the stock sound system? I'd prefer official BMW over third-party stereo

Qube
08-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Uh-oh i'm getting opposing advice here. I really fancied the 540 becouse if i buy something i usually want the best version of it.
Best is relative! I wanted an e34 M5 but parts costs is much more interesting than the 540...

Knowing myself i wouldn't be satisfied with anything less, especially since i keep hearing that the 525 is weak.
Uh oh... loaded statement! Heh.

Then it's a no-brainer. The key really is to find a well maintained ANY e34 at this point. You'll find that they are 2nd if not 3rd hand cars now.

Don't believe me. I get a good chunk of my parts for free... and I have Bruno and Bimmersport to fall back on if things get ugly (or me lazy). Still, we're fortunate to have good relationships with BMA Parts here at bimmer.info... now... believe me that if I got M5 parts free, I would have picked one up already.

As long as you don't start with a lemon, I don't think anyone can disagree that this is definitely possible.

Dragunov
08-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Ok thanks, any comments on the CD43 and finding a six speed 540 in hungary?

Macv
08-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Finding a 6 speed anywhere is tough. And from what I've heard on the CD43, its amazing. Reviews on here drove me to buying one. Should have it in a week or two :) :D

Dragunov
08-05-2007, 10:41 AM
I can't tell you how many 2.0L E34's I see for sale around here (Kaiserslautern, Germany). I figured everybody was chasing better mileage so they bought the smallest engine they could. But going by my experience, I wonder if the 2.0L engines get even worse mileage?

Brian

Yeah those 520's are everywhere over here too! From what i heard those are close to 12 litres/100 too.

Dragunov
08-05-2007, 10:42 AM
And from what I've heard on the CD43, its amazing. Reviews on here drove me to buying one. Should have it in a week or two :) :D
Then i'll get one too, thanks

Macv
08-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Then i'll get one too, thanks

There's a lot of good pics and support on this forum as well as Bimmerforums.com for the CD43 unit. Check it out before you buy.

2fast
08-05-2007, 04:06 PM
There is also an 535 ,thats the one I have.
Its the middle option.
Do a lot of reseach and good luck in finding a beauty.

J.DeFeo
08-06-2007, 06:24 AM
Hey there fellow BMW lovers, Dragunov from Hungary here!

I'm a student. I fell in love with E34's a long time ago, and I'll soon be in the position to finally buy one. There's no problem with that, and i understand if they are maintained well they're like tanks. But i also heard maintenance is very expensive, as well as fuel, i heard she eats 12 litres on 100 kilometers.

My second question is related to the actual purchase.

This would be all for now, but i'm sure i'll pop up with more questions later. Sorry about my english, i hope you can still understand me

Thanks for replies in advance.

Wow, this is basically exactly what I posted when I first came to this board. I'm currently a student as well, and I bought a 535i last August for $6000. It was obsessively maintained by a BMW enthusiast. I'm sure people have already gone over what to look for, so I'll just give you my experiences as a BMW owner with a very limited budget.

I bought the car in August. Right off the bat it had a leaky brake master cylinder. It's an extremely slow leak and I just top it off with brake fluid every now and then, but eventually it will need to be replaced. $130

My IAC failed a couple months ago. $120

The throwout bearing on my clutch failed spectacularly (bearing siezed and it made a hell of a noise when it scraped against the tines of the pressure plate). It took about 30 hours of my time and $750 to fix. That's $400 for the clutch kit and all associated seals, gaskets, and another $350 for various screws, nuts, bolts, and gearshift linkage components I felt like replacing.

My rear swaybar bushings are completely ripped to shreds and will need to be replaced soonish. Cheap, only $30 but a pain in the ass to replace.

Let's say another $100 for oil changes and filters along the way (put about 12k miles on it since I've owned it).

That means that in 11 months of ownership this car has cost me $1000-$1200. To be fair to the car, the clutch components ARE wear items and that was by far my biggest expense. I luckily have a very good paying job and am able to live very comfortably but maintaining this car has definitely put a dent in my budget. I don't know what living expenses are like in Hungary but if you can afford to put $250-300 a month into the car, you can EASILY afford it maintain it - IF you can do all of your own work! If I had taken it to the dealer to get those problems fixed it would have tripled the price.

So yes, it will be somewhat of a financial hardship to take care of this car, even if you get a good one, on a student's budget. But you can do it. You just have to decide if it's worth it or not. I think it is, and I haven't regretted anything about it.

Dragunov
08-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Cheers, this post helped a lot! Now i know what to expect.