PDA

View Full Version : Will this glovebox latch work in '94 530i?

EricB
08-03-2007, 01:10 PM
The interoperability listing in this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E23-E24-E28-E30-325-e-i-M3-M5-735-Glove-Box-Latch_W0QQitemZ170136448248QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3369 8QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) doesn't suggest that the latch will fit in a 530.

I just purchased the car used, and the latch mechanism was gutted, so its hard to tell what should go there.

I looked at the diagram on realoem.com but still wasn't 100% satisfied.

Can anyone tell me if I have a reasonable chance of this fitting?

Also, the interior is Sand / Tan in color.. and I removed the glovebox and left it in the garage at home until I have a latch, so I can't tell if I should be looking for a Tan latch or if it should be black.

Any help would be great.
-Eric

Ross
08-03-2007, 01:26 PM
I also looked at realoem. Between the two vehicles I didn't see any indication of parts being shared for this. I don't have an E30 to compare but my recollection is they are different.
You can get a new one for little more than that will cost you anyway.

EricB
08-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the info.
I hadn't realized that it would be reasonably priced when new.
I'll put a call into the parts place.

Ross
08-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Yep, don't automatically write off the dealer as a parts source. Lots of times they are less than the chain auto parts houses. My rule of thumb is if the parts house doesn't stock it try the dealer. Usually the price is comparable.
When you have time to wait for shipping try autohausaz.com for repair parts.
Enjoy your 5er.
Do you mind sharing your purchase price?

EricB
08-03-2007, 11:05 PM
I found it in Peoria AZ. listed on craigs list for $2200.
I knew it was well below bluebook, and I thought that was because it was rediculously dirty inside (bits of tree droppings inside!?) and that it had 190k miles.

The test drive didn't reveal anything particularly problematic.
Neighborhood speed, 50-ish mph on a bigger road, simple slalom manoevers in a parking lot, etc... all went fine.

2 short trips later and I got my 1st Trans Program.

Then it wouldn't disengage the transmission at all, and was pretty much stuck in my garage.

I called around to some performance shops here in the valley, and was steered to a particular AAMCO transmission shop in Scottsdale (a neighboring city) that had a good reputation with BMW transmissions.

The shop had my car towed to my shop, I agreed to a diagnostic teardown (a bit less than $500) which revealed that the transmission needed a complete rebuild.

The total bill (the diagnostic was rolled into the full price, as they already had the tranny pulled and apart) was $4403. ($2576 parts, $1618 labor)

I can provide a list lf the parts replaced for the desperately curious.

It was a learning experience for me... although I'm not sure what my lesson was.
Don't trust people?
It's hard to imagine that the seller was unaware of this issue.

On the plus side, its a neat car.

I replaced the interior microfilter last night and now the AC actually blows out instead of trickles.

Things are looking up.