PDA

View Full Version : Can i safely drive my 540 with the Radiator Breather pipe blocked?

Jehu
08-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Preface: I did drive it on the highway for about and hour and a half with out overheating so this may be moot now but i wanted to understand the system better anyway.The site was down so i posted on another board and decided to drive it anway but saw Lowell post there that i would overheat...

I broke the plastic pipe that runs between the Radiator and Expansion Tank while trying to get the Driver's side corner signal light out. This plastic pipe runs in to short hoses on each end and i just screwed a bolt into each end of the hoses after i removed the Plastic Pipe. Is there any reason i can't drive the car unhindered like this till the Part comes in?

its part 6 (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE53&mospid=47410&btnr=17_0078&hg=17&fg=05)in this diagram which broke and the two short hoses on either end are now plugged.

winfred
08-02-2007, 07:16 PM
it will eventually overheat, bmw does make a repair part where you drill and tap the hole and install a screw in nipple, that's how the system purges itself of vapor

edit, i reread that you broke the plastic pipe and not the radiator nipple, you can replace the pipe with rubber hose all of the way to the bottle

Jehu
08-02-2007, 07:20 PM
They will have the pipe up at Euro Depot tomorrw morning . I guess i have to think i can drive it up there the 45 minutes and pop it on since it worked welll enough today. At least i won't drive it all day tomorrow if there is a real risk.

winfred
08-02-2007, 07:56 PM
you can manually burp it by uncorking it till coolant runs out of the radiator end before you start it, should be ok for a while

Jehu
08-02-2007, 08:22 PM
I'll try that before i make the trip for the pipe in the morning. Thanksamillion!

Just saw the above edit.. I actually like that Idea alot since that plastic pipe was extremely brittle weather it comes that way or gets that way it seems a much better idea to buy a couple of butt connetors and a couple of hose clamps and have a more dureable part there. Great idea!