PDA

View Full Version : did a oil change on a 06 530 today

winfred
08-01-2007, 08:22 PM
oh my god whatta hunk of ****, i can hardly wait for these ****ers to be common and broken, no oil dipstick, you gotta check the oil with i-drive, i guess the bastard is still too new as the ****ing new oil filter wasn't designed right, the hole wasn't big enough for the plastic dildo in the cap so we had to get a dealer filter, and start bitching at the supplier about the damn filters. the art deco looking door panels look like they are going to suck, it's a year old and the coating around the window switches was flaking off like cheap paint, looking forward to the electric water pumps to ****ing up, and the monstrosity of a thermostat bolted to the side of it is seriously in the way of the ac compressor, which looks like the same pos that the e39 runs that i've replaced just about everyone i come across, looks like they finally **** canned that god awful turd LUK brand power steering pump that the e39/46 uses, hope this one sucks less, it has the same general suspension as a e39, aluminum brake calipers, the front calipers look like the same ones on my granddads 73 f350 ford, ****ing huge for no real reason, over sized pain in the ass belly pan, a little over 2 dozen screws and it's out of your way with the usual too small oil drain access door

Ross
08-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Ha ha. Sorry to laugh, well not really. Can't wait until the DIYers are trying to repair those! They are so fugly on top of it.

BigKriss
08-01-2007, 08:57 PM
lol I love your descriptions of work and cars in general. keep it coming.

Zeuk in Oz
08-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Look on the bright side, Winfred. It obviously still has an oil drain plug ! :D

bigtisas
08-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Just like my girlfriend's 06 325i. I was going to check oil the other day because I don't trust the factory recommended 15k oil interval. Couldn't find the oil dip stick! It doesn't come with engine temp gauge either. I hate the design.

winfred
08-01-2007, 09:40 PM
atleast the engine oil pan is still metal, the tranny pan is plastic, and so is it's drain plug

Look on the bright side, Winfred. It obviously still has an oil drain plug ! :D

markus
08-01-2007, 11:08 PM
WTF plastic tranny pan?!

god i can see these cracking in 7 years and letting the fluid spill all over the road.

I like the way the E60 looks, kinda.. But I wonder what they will be like 15 years from now. Im sure our E34s will still be going :)

bmwrp8
08-01-2007, 11:46 PM
thats the problem with new bimmers...they're too freaken complicated...DIYers sometimes has a hard time repairing the e34 & e39...couldn't wait for the next generation here in bimmer.info when they're talking about how hard or impossible it is to DIY the e60! hehehe:D

DanDombrowski
08-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Plastic isn't all that bad of an idea for a trans pan. Plastics handle vibratory stress better, and they're also much lighter, and theyre cheaper. Yes, plastics age and get brittle over the years if left in the sun, but it shouldn't see too much of that under the car.

Besides, it makes replacement crazy easy if it ever gets a crack or doesn't mate flush with the trans. People said the same thing about the plastic valve cover gasket on the E46, but the thing is working fine.

winfred
08-02-2007, 07:59 AM
oh really, we do more gaskets on plastic valve covers then on anything else, the plastic intake has been more of a success with less exceptions if ya wanna wave a flag for plastic, the v8s suck but the I6s are ok

People said the same thing about the plastic valve cover gasket on the E46, but the thing is working fine.

Ross
08-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Bangle style, I-drive, no dipstick, needless complication.
I doubt very much any of this generation BMW will ever find it's way into my garage.

DanDombrowski
08-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Really? I've had to reset a handful of aluminum VC gaskets that didn't seal quite right (usually around cam seals), but when I did the one on my E46 it was perfect right away. I guess some people have better luck than others.

I wonder if the VC gaskets are just leaking more due to thinner oil requirements on most cars or if it really has something to do with the cover itself.

yaofeng
08-02-2007, 10:48 AM
oh my god whatta hunk of ****, i can hardly wait for these ****ers to be common and broken, no oil dipstick, you gotta check the oil with i-drive,

So BMW finally removed the redundancy. You need either the oil level sensor or the oil dipstick, not both. I would have preferred the dipstick to stay, eliminating the source of oil leak in the sump.

ryan roopnarine
08-02-2007, 11:52 AM
oh wow.

nowadaze: hit autotrans pan with speed bump=dent, leakage from sealing surface

futuredaze: hit autotrans pan with speed bump=hole, unless the pan is made from tupperware-esque material, and is capable of "denting".

mikell
08-02-2007, 12:20 PM
So, did you measure the oil you drained so the poor slob would know if he's using oil? No dipstick - what dipshit thought of that?

Macv
08-02-2007, 12:25 PM
No dipstick - what dipshit thought of that?

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/archives/bio_panke.jpg

Mr. Helmut Pancake

bmwrp8
08-02-2007, 08:19 PM
http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/archives/bio_panke.jpg

Mr. Helmut Pancake

mmmmmmmm pancake !!! makes me hungry:D

Bin_jammin
08-02-2007, 08:23 PM
oh my god whatta hunk of ****, i can hardly wait for these ****ers to be common and broken, no oil dipstick, you gotta check the oil with i-drive, i guess the bastard is still too new as the ****ing new oil filter wasn't designed right, the hole wasn't big enough for the plastic dildo in the cap so we had to get a dealer filter, and start bitching at the supplier about the damn filters. the art deco looking door panels look like they are going to suck, it's a year old and the coating around the window switches was flaking off like cheap paint, looking forward to the electric water pumps to ****ing up, and the monstrosity of a thermostat bolted to the side of it is seriously in the way of the ac compressor, which looks like the same pos that the e39 runs that i've replaced just about everyone i come across, looks like they finally **** canned that god awful turd LUK brand power steering pump that the e39/46 uses, hope this one sucks less, it has the same general suspension as a e39, aluminum brake calipers, the front calipers look like the same ones on my granddads 73 f350 ford, ****ing huge for no real reason, over sized pain in the ass belly pan, a little over 2 dozen screws and it's out of your way with the usual too small oil drain access door

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the theater?

Bin_jammin
08-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Plastic isn't all that bad of an idea for a trans pan. Plastics handle vibratory stress better, and they're also much lighter, and theyre cheaper. Yes, plastics age and get brittle over the years if left in the sun, but it shouldn't see too much of that under the car.

Besides, it makes replacement crazy easy if it ever gets a crack or doesn't mate flush with the trans. People said the same thing about the plastic valve cover gasket on the E46, but the thing is working fine.

The day I manage to hang my plastic valve cover up on a speed bump I'm calling you out to come fix it.