PDA

View Full Version : Replacing upper control arms 540

choccibicci
08-01-2007, 04:31 PM
My 540 has developed the dreaded 50 mph vibe so i'm replacing the upper arms. I'm also doing the pads & discs at the same time, but is it worth my while doing the lower arms as well?

I hear the upper arms are a very common problem and cause of this vibration, not heard much about the lower arms.

I've also heard that you can fit the arms from a 750 as theyre stronger? Any truth in this, and anything to be aware of if doing this?

Cheers

BigKriss
08-01-2007, 06:07 PM
the bushes are stronger, not the arm itself and the m5 bush is the strongest one available. It would be easy to change the lower arms at the same time as the upper arms

choccibicci
08-01-2007, 06:26 PM

I'm in the UK, and it seems, I can get the arms without the bushes fitted. This being so, it also seems, I need to get the bushes 'pressed' into the arms by machine. I'm sure I can locate a workshop that could do this, but if the bushes are fitable, are they not also removeable? Do I really need to replace the arms, or can I replace the bushes on their own?

Ta

BigKriss
08-01-2007, 06:30 PM
You have to replace the arm if the ball joint is worn. You can replace just the bush if you want to. the bush can be installed and re-installed as many times as possible in a press. Look at powerflex bushes, they are from the UK, and don't need to be pressed in.

632 Regal
08-01-2007, 06:43 PM
like kriss said go with the M5 bushings, even I havent tore them up yet.

choccibicci
08-02-2007, 05:31 PM

Just ordered the entire powerflex kit so guess i'll be busy doing the rears too :p. Funny how needs turn into musts cos I also ordered all new discs n pads all round too :)

I've a good excuse tho, the football season starts again in the UK in 10 days so I don't have long to get all the bits fitted ;)

Cheers

Zeuk in Oz
08-02-2007, 11:44 PM
the football season starts again in the UK in 10 days so
Go Spurs ! :)