PDA

View Full Version : OT: Car lift? How about Car tilter.

Macv
07-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Wtf. I've never heard of them, doesn't look like I'd use them either.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=21187&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C607%2C619%2C622&KickerID=142&KICKER

Input?

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-30-2007, 05:53 PM
put a six pack of beer under there and get a long rope....and wait.

repenttokyo
07-30-2007, 06:01 PM
they have been around a long time in the shadetree restoration biz. it's a bit too risky for my taste.

infurno
07-30-2007, 07:10 PM
http://www.classic1800.com/ramp-pit-plans

Works, DIY, and cheap. Would I get under a nearly 4,000 pound bimmer on a wooden ramp? Probably not. But man would this thing be handy, im tempted.

repenttokyo
07-30-2007, 08:31 PM
a ramp or a pit is fine until you have to work on suspensions.

winfred
07-30-2007, 09:13 PM
1400 for that death trap?! you can get a service lift for a grand more and about 400 to install it, bout 3k installed for a real lift

winfred
07-30-2007, 09:17 PM
oh my ****ing god! what the hell is wrong with jack stands, i think i use something sturdyer then that when i get under my lawnmower

http://www.classic1800.com/ramp-pit-plans

Works, DIY, and cheap. Would I get under a nearly 4,000 pound bimmer on a wooden ramp? Probably not. But man would this thing be handy, im tempted.

mamilapon
07-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Crap!

John B.
07-31-2007, 11:50 AM
1400 for that death trap?! you can get a service lift for a grand more and about 400 to install it, bout 3k installed for a real lift

I bought a drive on 4 post lift a few years ago, easy install as it isn't anchored to the floor. Just invite 3-4 friends over as the sections are really heavy.

whiskychaser
07-31-2007, 03:00 PM
x1. £3k (not dollars) for a good one installed. You can do it cheaper. You cant put a tonne of car on bricks if you want-I will hold your coat while you get under it:)

bahnstormer
07-31-2007, 07:33 PM
heeh

The rocker assemblies are mad from heavy angle iron

from eastwood website

Bin_jammin
07-31-2007, 07:48 PM
Wtf. I've never heard of them, doesn't look like I'd use them either.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=21187&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C607%2C619%2C622&KickerID=142&KICKER

Input?

Let me start off by saying this: You're all a bunch of skirts.

Would I buy that? Probably not, because I'd spend my money on a real lift. Would I use on at a shop that had it? Absolutely. it looks like it would make it a piece of cake to change out FWD trannies and engines. Changing a clutch? putting a tranny in? It's a lot easier trying to make it line up when it's on it's face than when you're trying to make the face line up while the car's horizontal.

I imagine the majority of you have worked on a car using ramps, or jacks and stands. This thing has to be safer than ALL of them. Making fun of angle iron? Why? sure, there's weak iron, but then again, all the lifts in my shop here only have two posts, would all of you be afraid to get under a car because you're skittish about the lift tilting over?

Grow a pair, huh?

repenttokyo
07-31-2007, 08:46 PM
how exactly are you going to hold the heavy tranny or engine in place horizontally while you line it up?

winfred
07-31-2007, 08:54 PM
i turn cars on their side to pull **** when we crush and it's something of a pain in the ass to pull big stuff, nothing is designed to lift things at that angle, fluid is dripping from the diff and tranny vents and any other place that's not designed to operate at a 90* angle, i pull parts off cars when they are hanging from the forks of this
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/stuck%20lift%201.jpg
that thing looks like a **** load of square tubing and it's around 2/3 the price of a real lift (actually our one rotary we got used for $900 and $300-400 to install)

Let me start off by saying this: You're all a bunch of skirts.

Would I buy that? Probably not, because I'd spend my money on a real lift. Would I use on at a shop that had it? Absolutely. it looks like it would make it a piece of cake to change out FWD trannies and engines. Changing a clutch? putting a tranny in? It's a lot easier trying to make it line up when it's on it's face than when you're trying to make the face line up while the car's horizontal.

I imagine the majority of you have worked on a car using ramps, or jacks and stands. This thing has to be safer than ALL of them. Making fun of angle iron? Why? sure, there's weak iron, but then again, all the lifts in my shop here only have two posts, would all of you be afraid to get under a car because you're skittish about the lift tilting over?

Grow a pair, huh?

Ross
07-31-2007, 09:19 PM
These things are intended for body work. Far less useful for servicing.

Macv
07-31-2007, 09:39 PM
These things are intended for body work. Far less useful for servicing.

I wouldn't want bodywork done to my car at an angle. Think of the damage it would cause.

whiskychaser
08-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Absolutely. it looks like it would make it a piece of cake to change out FWD trannies and engines.

Grow a pair, huh?
I changed FWD engines and/or trannies rather more than I would have liked. I found they are also quite heavy and subject to the same laws of gravity as 'normal' engines/trannies. I'm not quite clear how you support a transverse engine when you remove the gearbox if the car is up at an angle. But maybe as you suggest I'm talking bollocks:)

Barney Paull-Edwards
08-01-2007, 03:08 PM
They are for bodywork only,as they bolt onto the hubs not much point in working on them,also oil tends to spill out of dipstick etc,seen an XJ12 on one and it supported it fine.

Bin_jammin
08-01-2007, 05:07 PM
I changed FWD engines and/or trannies rather more than I would have liked. I found they are also quite heavy and subject to the same laws of gravity as 'normal' engines/trannies. I'm not quite clear how you support a transverse engine when you remove the gearbox if the car is up at an angle. But maybe as you suggest I'm talking bollocks:)

When you're installing a FWD tranny, and you're trying to line the bellhousing up, and you're manhandling it to get it to sit on its dowels, you're also supporting the weight of it, either by using a tranny jack, or your hands, or something. If you could tilt the car so the bellhousing is face down, you won't have to support the weight at the same time, and it should just plop right onto its dowels.

Sounds a lot easier to me.

repenttokyo
08-01-2007, 05:31 PM
When you're installing a FWD tranny, and you're trying to line the bellhousing up, and you're manhandling it to get it to sit on its dowels, you're also supporting the weight of it, either by using a tranny jack, or your hands, or something. If you could tilt the car so the bellhousing is face down, you won't have to support the weight at the same time, and it should just plop right onto its dowels.

Sounds a lot easier to me.

how would you get the tranny up to the right height and then move it over laterally?