PDA

View Full Version : Need a quick answer if anyone is out there

Mitch90535im
05-11-2004, 05:51 PM
Just replaced the radiator in my 535i and can't seem to get the top hose to seal water tight. Is there a secret to how much to thighten, place of clamp on the neck, etc, etc, etc.

George M
05-11-2004, 06:39 PM
rule of thumb is err on the side of loose because of the plastic neck. Push the hose all the way on...position the clamp about 1/2" from the end of the hose. If your hose is heat aged, you will struggle a bit more with the seal. Hope you have a good worm gear clamp. Warm the car up under pressure and gradually tighten the clamp until the leak path stops. I use a 6 or 7mm socket for the clamp versus a blade screwdriver for obvious reasons...won't slip as easily and spear anything like a rubber hose :-) Use your discretion for torque....a light, deft touch. One tip is don't use a 1/4" rachet to tighten a clamp...use your 1/4 drive screwdriver with a universal if necessary and an extension with a small socket. This will help on over torquing. Do NOT over torque your radiator hose connections to plastic nipples....hmmm...I said nipples.
George

scott540
05-11-2004, 07:01 PM
Yeah, don't over torgue the nipples. They're sensative.

George M
05-11-2004, 07:17 PM
is that over tongue or torque? Yes they are...in a wonderful way.
George

Bill R.
05-11-2004, 07:22 PM
hose before you put it on? Sometimes you have to clean out deposits from where it had been leaking in the past and then use a little hylomar on the hose to radiator connection..

Just replaced the radiator in my 535i and can't seem to get the top hose to seal water tight. Is there a secret to how much to thighten, place of clamp on the neck, etc, etc, etc.

Hector
05-11-2004, 07:32 PM
and wound up placing the hose clamp on top of the end of the nipple with the corrugation. It sealed better but still dripped one drop at a time. The crud and deposits didn't help with the sealing. Finally collapsed the nipple. Bought a new expansion tank and it was nice to see a metal sleeve under the plastic nipple for re-enforcement. Still a lame design.

Mitch90535im
05-11-2004, 08:37 PM
I really appreciate all the help guys.

My final solution was to shorten the hose about 1.5" to get past the old "threading" left on the inside from being clamped for so long to the old radiator neck/nipple. Luckly the wifey was on hand as is often the case when I'm playing shade tree mechanic to pry the wrench from my trembling, sweaty hands (she has this nack for sensing when I'm about to be a "man" and break something) and she was able to tourqe it just tight enough to stop the drip without destroying the new radiator.

I owe her a lot with regards to helping with the e34. She did the re-solder on the LKM, installed my front clear-corners, and promised tonight she was next going to tackle that pesky intermittent "tail light" problem. I have no doubt it will soon too be a thing of the past. The only time I ever doubt her is when I see her break out the duct tape.

Again, thanks for the help and kudos to Patrick at BMA for standing behind his service and getting me the correct radiator overnight after shipping me a 525i radiator last week.

Time now for a beer...

Tiger
05-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Boy! Does she have a sister? ;)

winfred
05-11-2004, 09:13 PM
my mom is a licenced gereral contractor/designer for almost the last 15 years, before that for about a year she was a small aircraft mechanic

Boy! Does she have a sister? ;)

632 Regal
05-11-2004, 10:22 PM
someone other than I know (http://www.tantalizingtattoo.com/images/jenni/Jennifer%20Pictures/Over%2018%20Only/female%20nipple.jpg)

then I remembered I was supposed to be married...damn, hope she dont have this page book marked