PDA

View Full Version : DIY A/C recharging

mikeythekidd
07-29-2007, 11:39 AM
My a/c recently stopped blowing cold. I took it to a local independent and he charged me $140 to tell me I had a leaky condenser. He wanted $1200 to replace it and the drier and recharge the system. I bought the parts from BMA for $391 and replaced them myself yesterday. Now I have to take it to someone and have it charged. I'm getting a little sick of forking over $150 for this every time. Because I have 2 other cars whose a/c doesn't work, I want to purchase the tools and do it myself. Is it something I can do myself? Where is a good place to buy the tools? Any thing else I need to know?

Ross
07-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Go scrounge an old refrigerator or window air conditioner. The compressor can be used as a vacuum pump to evacuate the system and will pull enough vacuum to boil out the moisture. Just connect a fitting to the intake and leave the other side open.
A gauge set can be had inexpensively at Harbor Freight.

Tiger
07-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Autozone loans vacuum pump for free... you need to let it vacuum for at least 30 minutes. 1 hour would be great to get rid of all moisture... it doesn't take much to boil off moisture under vacuum, just time.

It would be nice to have a pro gauge but no need... simple pistol grip model... the one that looks like a gun... with gauge on top... bottle attaches to the bottom and handle has push valve to control the amount of refrigerant...

When recharging, make sure you put in 2 oz of oil too... along with R134. I would put the oil in first. Then fill system up as much as you can... usually you can get it up to 60 PSI without compressor running. You need at least 50PSI to get the compressor to kick on.

Once you start engine and turn on AC... the pressure will drop... You want 25 PSI with compressor running.

You can also buy the retrofit kit too... around $30 or $35 at Pep Boys... use the enclosed gauge... but use as much as you can as those gauge tends to leak the remainder refrigerant slowly... so it would be wise to have several cars ready.