PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Don't buy the Malaysian door handle seals!

CharlesAFerg
07-28-2007, 12:59 AM
They don't fit.
They just barely fit(if that's what you want to call it) on the back, but the front doors I couldn't do.
Not only on the rear did they sag downward on the corners, the little tabs don't fit into the plastic holes by like a millimeter so they're absolutely worthless.
...and that's only if you can make them fit!
I'
ll post pics tomorrow, as well as of my one door handle that's covered up by blue painters tape right now. Classy.

I now know why some people have toruble with them.

Just for reference, I have a US spec '89 M20 525i
If anyone else is having trouble with them, post what you've got, maybe there is some kind of difference in the door handles???

Who knows, but they DEFINATELY don't work for me. I try getting them warm and even cool. I got some weird internal bleeding in my finger trying to pry the bar back with a piece of metal to lock the handle back on but it wouldn't go back on. lol...

genphreak
07-28-2007, 04:24 AM
Mine fit, but the driver's side one does not sit right (no matter how I try to adjust the cover lock) and the passenger side one seems not to allow the lock to engage (as if it were thicker than stock), plus now the handle sticks in the up position.

I mailed our man in Malaysia nut he didn't respond. He is doing everyone a great service, but if the seals are short-lived or bad in the first place (some obviously are) then he should do something about it.

I'm not exactly keen to buy another set after this experience... (2 out of 4- is this good?) or his response.

But also, I should have followed it up. I am just too damned busy to keep hassling him out. :( Nick

Macv
07-28-2007, 10:08 AM
I didn't have any problems with mine. They were all fine.

mikell
07-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Mine fit just like original equipment. I've had mine on for more than a year, and they look way better than the old cracked ones; I'd have no reservations recommending these parts.
Due to the stiffness of the material when cold, it's best to warm them up a bit before installing - in Texas I just put them out in the sun, but application of a hairdryer would work, too.

John B.
07-28-2007, 11:57 AM
I had a hell of a time installing them in a cold garage last winter. Finally had to heat the door handle with a hot air gun to get the seals to settle in enough to pull the sliding lock back. I still have a problem with one of the rear door handles sticking open but the other 3 work & look ok.

myles
07-28-2007, 04:29 PM
I've used them on 3 different cars with no problems on any of them.

BFEINZIMER
07-28-2007, 05:09 PM
mine are sitting in my room

crap

i just bought oem with the metal handles...problem solved

CharlesAFerg
07-29-2007, 06:01 AM
Due to the stiffness of the material when cold, it's best to warm them up a bit before installing - in Texas I just put them out in the sun, but application of a hairdryer would work, too.

I said in my post tried in scorching hot and normal temp.
lol, there must be something wrong with all of mine...

They don't quite fit into each little mini-hole socket things that run across the edges, so I get pieces that fit fine and others that will sag, bulge, or get caught underneath the metal handle...

bbig119
07-29-2007, 12:07 PM
They were tricky to get on, but I found putting the seal you are about to install in a bowl of very warm(nearly boiling) water softened them up long enough to get them in. Even with that, it takes some effort to have them sit properly but I was able to do it.

markus
07-29-2007, 12:41 PM
just buy the right parts IMO. Maylasian = junk

mikell
07-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Let us know how much you pay for your parts and how easy they were to install.

Bin_jammin
07-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Internal bleeding? Dude, put the keyboard down and see a doctor.

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-30-2007, 01:09 PM
with installation on four cars.

I had to warm them up to massage them into place.

Oh, yeah...make sure you don'y mix up the front and back gaskets..big hole little hole like HIe34 did.

HIe34
07-30-2007, 05:45 PM
with installation on four cars.

I had to warm them up to massage them into place.

Oh, yeah...make sure you don'y mix up the front and back gaskets..big hole little hole like HIe34 did.

I appreciate the reminder...

Mine have held up fine too.

CharlesAFerg
07-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Well, I got the ones form the dealership and it works wonderfully - apperently the part is a split year and you've got to get the right one form the dealership for the particular group of years (89-91 / 91-95)...

Just a warning, and they're less than 30 for each piece, not too bad - considering a tiny dropper bottle of BMW carbaflo costs over 60 bucks. :D

Let us know how much you pay for your parts and how easy they were to install.

Easier than the malaysian ones, because the two parts are already fitted together. It's not difficult to begin with, it's just that the malaysian ones don't fit right on an 89 car.

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-30-2007, 07:59 PM
- apperently the part is a split year and you've got to get the right one form the dealership for the particular group of years (89-91 / 91-95)...

I think the split refers to the door handle material, the later door handles are plastic, but the gasket is the same for both.

Done the Malay gasket on everything from a 87 750il to a 94 Touring, it's all in the hands.

CharlesAFerg
07-30-2007, 09:21 PM
I think the split refers to the door handle material, the later door handles are plastic, but the gasket is the same for both.

Done the Malay gasket on everything from a 87 750il to a 94 Touring, it's all in the hands.
Ah, thanks for the plastic clarification, that makes sense.

Actually I must have a flawed bunch - mine actually wouldn't fit properly, even before i got them on the door. It's like someone stretched them out so the little mini-tabs wouldn't go in...
I still need to find my camera, pics soon.

icesoft
07-31-2007, 08:40 PM
Ah, thanks for the plastic clarification, that makes sense.

Actually I must have a flawed bunch - mine actually wouldn't fit properly, even before i got them on the door. It's like someone stretched them out so the little mini-tabs wouldn't go in...
I still need to find my camera, pics soon.

Mine were the same way (flawed), I had to put them together with a little wrinkle in the middle. Then wedge a block in between the door and the body so I could push on the handle cover and still reach the latch to lock it in place whilst forcing the wrinkle out. They seem to fit fine, but I had to screw with the driver's rear for a while to get the handle to function properly.