PDA

View Full Version : thinking about replacing rotors?

mzarifkar
07-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Let me preface by saying that i receive no personal gain other than the intrinsic rewards of pointing fellow BMW enthusiast towards a good deal.

NAPA auto parts sells disc rotors for my 95 525 for a very reasonable +/-$35 They come with a warranty and believe it or not are made in the USA

Just thought id let you guys know

yaofeng
07-26-2007, 12:38 PM
I can get the Brembo for $39.95 any time I want. So I see no reason to rush it getting rid of a pair of working rotors still within spec.

http://www.eeuroparts.com/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=9024

Macv
07-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll pay the extra for ATE Premium one's. I love how they look :)
http://catimages2.sophio.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/imc/images/tn/34111159896P.jpg

KenB
07-26-2007, 08:32 PM
I just bought Balo rotors (Made in Germany) Jurid pads and wear sensors from AutohausAZ for <$300.

The last set lasted nearly 100k miles with no wear sensor warnings....but damn close. Very even wear, great grip, quiet, a little dusty but I don't care my wheels are a snap to clean :-)

Tiger
07-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Whoa... I just look up a bunch on Napaonline.com... whoa... dirt cheap on rotors... mainly rotors.

Dr. evil
07-27-2007, 01:00 AM
i use the ATE power stops (premos) on the front with PBR metal masters. they have worked well over time with little brake dust and noise. the only thing that i regret is buy the Bavauto "caliper upgade".
after some time whet buy the bushing got full of dirt the right caliper started to drag.

Sam-Son
07-27-2007, 01:36 AM
How are Bavauto's performance rotors? I'm thinking of buying them

Macv
07-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Not as "performance" as say Zimmermann. The Bavauto's are cheap (yet still expensive) rotors. Not to say they don't work... but the slots and holes don't work as well as others. For one... they have 50% less drilled holes than real "performance" rotors.... and I've heard you can't tell any difference.

You're basically just paying a high price for a normal rotor. However... I pay extra just for the look of my ATE's, so I guess I'm none different.

BigKriss
07-27-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm running these on the rear, so long long did you have them on for and how often did you clean them and replace the grease?

i use the ATE power stops (premos) on the front with PBR metal masters. they have worked well over time with little brake dust and noise. the only thing that i regret is buy the Bavauto "caliper upgade".
after some time whet buy the bushing got full of dirt the right caliper started to drag.

Sam-Son
07-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Not as "performance" as say Zimmermann. The Bavauto's are cheap (yet still expensive) rotors. Not to say they don't work... but the slots and holes don't work as well as others. For one... they have 50% less drilled holes than real "performance" rotors.... and I've heard you can't tell any difference.

You're basically just paying a high price for a normal rotor. However... I pay extra just for the look of my ATE's, so I guess I'm none different.

So Zimmerman Cross drilled and slotted rotors are decent performance rotors?
I've heard that they rust quickly as well as warp

Dr. evil
07-27-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm running these on the rear, so long long did you have them on for and how often did you clean them and replace the grease?
i would say that i have had them on for about 5,000 miles, haven't changed the grease since. i think the next time i do pads i will go back to the OEM guides, i don't what to have to clean that **** all the time.

by the way luv your sig pic

Tiger
07-27-2007, 03:04 PM
If you wash your wheel when brake is hot, yes, you will warp any brake rotors. Otherwise, no. I had my crossdrilled rotors for 60,000 miles before it warped and got another 20,000 miles after recut.

Performance? Worth it... Compared to ATE Powerslot, better but a bit noisier.

Dr. evil
07-27-2007, 03:06 PM
i think i might try these next rotor change
.edit.bavauto cross drilled