PDA

View Full Version : Seafoam in M20? Safe?

CharlesAFerg
07-26-2007, 02:47 AM
I don't want to blow anything up or ruin anything...
Is it alright to use it in out M20s?

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-26-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't want to blow anything up or ruin anything...
Is it alright to use it in out M20s?

put down the intake? I've done it

Put some in the gas tank? I still do it before a oil change

I don't put it in the oil...never ever...only oil or 710 goes in there.

Ross
07-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Bob, WTF is 710?

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Bob, WTF is 710?
cap upside down 710

Ross
07-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Aw jeez.

Macv
07-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Lol, blonde joke

tim
07-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Imho, the best way to use it is to get the spray version, called deep creep. It's the same stuff, made by seafoam. Get new spark plugs. Take off the old plugs, spray into the plug holes. Lots of it. Put the OLD plugs back in. Start it up. Marvel at the smoke for awhile. Then, take out the old plugs, and put the new ones in. It really works well.

I agree, never put it in the oil. If you want to clean up in there, put some synthetic ATF ('bout a half a quart) in with your oil about 100 miles before your next change. It works and it's easy on the gaskets and seals.

filip00
07-26-2007, 04:57 PM
whenever i change my oil, i like to flush the engine with new oil. as the used oil runs out of the engine, i pour around 1-2dcl into the engine and let it also run down...

then i pour the new one.

CharlesAFerg
07-26-2007, 08:43 PM
cap upside down 710

OEL

infurno
07-26-2007, 09:04 PM
I don't remember the engine type in a e28 533i but I used a can of seafoam in my vacuum line and another can in my oil. I was sure it said "add to oil" on the can...

repenttokyo
07-26-2007, 09:49 PM
whenever i change my oil, i like to flush the engine with new oil. as the used oil runs out of the engine, i pour around 1-2dcl into the engine and let it also run down...

then i pour the new one.

I can't see how that would actually do anything....

tim
07-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Seafoam is basically methyl ethyl ketone. If you ever worked with this stuff you know how dangerous it can be. For decarbing a piston or a valve it can't be beat. It is the ideal chemical solvent for gums, resins, and carbon deposits such as those left behind from combustion. But...I wouldn't put it anywhere where it could stay in contact with rubber, plastic or other gasket materials for very long.

For cleaning injectors- techron
For cleaning throttle body and intake- B12 spray
For decarbing the chamber and valves- Seafoam applied directly.

never add anything to your Mobil 1.

taseal
08-25-2007, 06:05 AM
on my trans am, when I sea foamed, i failed my O2 sensor...

just food for thought :)

so you guys say get the spray kind and spray inside the cylinder chamber eh?

hmmm....

is that thing combustible? i'd get pretty pissed if I put too much and I can't start the car

Bin_jammin
08-25-2007, 06:25 AM
on my trans am, when I sea foamed, i failed my O2 sensor...

just food for thought :)

so you guys say get the spray kind and spray inside the cylinder chamber eh?

hmmm....

is that thing combustible? i'd get pretty pissed if I put too much and I can't start the car

Lots of things will make an o2 sensor fail. Silicone will make an o2 sensor fail. Most octane boosters will kill one too. Don't worry about too much, worst case scenario you can just crank your motor over for a while with the throttle cranked open. Usually when I'm trying to clean an intake it's a matter of dumping enough cleaner in to stall the motor, then letting it sit for a while. Start the car and burn off the cleaner.