PDA

View Full Version : Ticking Valves 89 535

pomko
07-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Can these valves be adjusted, or am I looking at something more extensive, like a valve job?

bmwrp8
07-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Can these valves be adjusted, or am I looking at something more extensive, like a valve job?

yes it can be adjusted just had mine...but its a m20 525i....click here http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/engine/valve_adjust.htm

pomko
07-25-2007, 08:53 AM
yes it can be adjusted just had mine...but its a m20 525i....click here http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/engine/valve_adjust.htm

Looks like a good site, but I don't know whether I want to to try it myself.

Thanks

BigKriss
07-25-2007, 09:23 AM
you do want to try it. its hard to muck up the engine if you don't do it right the first time. i did this recently for the first time. what are you afraid of? why your there you might want to look up "gale's banjo bolts" too.

Thanks

E34N
07-25-2007, 11:44 AM

Thanks

You don't have to try it, but you should get it done. If you decide to go to a shop, you might as well have them change the plugs, wires, and do the valve adjustment at the same time.

It'll cost you about $200 (not including parts)

pomko
07-25-2007, 04:26 PM
You don't have to try it, but you should get it done. If you decide to go to a shop, you might as well have them change the plugs, wires, and do the valve adjustment at the same time.

It'll cost you about $200 (not including parts)

Thanks.
To the shop it goes.

e34m30SF
07-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Just my two cents, but be real sure what you're hearing is a valve adjustment and not something major. Case in point:

My valves were extremely loud, and once I got into the head, turns out it wasn't the valves at all. My timing chain guide had shattered some years back, under the ownership of the original owner, and he never bothered to check it. Long story short, I went in for a valve adjustment, came out with a brand new camshaft, rocker arms, and 1500 poorer.

I'll post up pics of the camshaft and shattered bits of the guide, as well as the worn rocker arms. two of them have developed about 4 "ridges" where the half-moon shape used to be.

pomko
07-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Just my two cents, but be real sure what you're hearing is a valve adjustment and not something major. Case in point:

My valves were extremely loud, and once I got into the head, turns out it wasn't the valves at all. My timing chain guide had shattered some years back, under the ownership of the original owner, and he never bothered to check it. Long story short, I went in for a valve adjustment, came out with a brand new camshaft, rocker arms, and 1500 poorer.

I'll post up pics of the camshaft and shattered bits of the guide, as well as the worn rocker arms. two of them have developed about 4 "ridges" where the half-moon shape used to be.

Hope I'm not that unlucky...