PDA

View Full Version : Mono Wiper conversion

tgrandahl
07-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Does anybody know of a mono wiper conversion done to an e34? I found one post but no link to the other forum mentioned. Has anyone ever converted to a mono wiper on another car?

repenttokyo
07-24-2007, 08:22 PM
I think if you do that, a hole in the ground opens and swallows you up.

repenttokyo
07-24-2007, 08:22 PM
That's why you can't find any info about it anywhere.

tgrandahl
07-24-2007, 09:02 PM
well i guess that settles it then

CharlesAFerg
07-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Search, someone brought it up before, videos and all - it was pretty sweet. If I remember correctly, they had pictures of installation and all the little tidbits you had to look out for while doing it, quite informative if you ask me!

bmwrp8
07-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Does anybody know of a mono wiper conversion done to an e34? I found one post but no link to the other forum mentioned. Has anyone ever converted to a mono wiper on another car?

why do you want to waste your money or time on that?is your current wiper assembly shot? if yes I suggest just stick with the original...it was designed like that...if no then don't touch it...but still up to you:D just a suggestion

bmwrp8
07-24-2007, 11:30 PM
I think if you do that, a hole in the ground opens and swallows you up.

hahaha:D

Ferret
07-25-2007, 01:44 AM
why do you want to waste your money or time on that?is your current wiper assembly shot? if yes I suggest just stick with the original...it was designed like that...if no then don't touch it...but still up to you:D just a suggestion

Riced!

bmwrp8
07-25-2007, 01:47 AM
Riced!

hehehe...I tried my best not to go directly to the point! but you just did!nyahahaha:D

Booster
07-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Riced ?? Are you kidding ? This was an option for the AC Schnitzer S5 Silhouette's.
They came with the cast steel bits that made it function this way.
If you don't like it .....at least call it Kraut for F>cks sake !,lol.
Vinny

mikell
07-25-2007, 03:08 PM
There used to be someone selling conversion kits on Ebay - supposed to bolt-on for e34's - but I haven't been looking in a long time. Might still be some listings.

E34N
07-25-2007, 04:09 PM
yea.. ACS made an arm that did this. It's hard to find.. almost as hard as the silhouette kit itself.

There was someone years back that made a custom arm to do this, but he's long gone and the idea was shot down by many. There was a video of it somewhere, but it looked kinda funny cuz it had to go so fast in order to wipe the whole window.

bmwrp8
07-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Riced ?? Are you kidding ? This was an option for the AC Schnitzer S5 Silhouette's.
They came with the cast steel bits that made it function this way.
If you don't like it .....at least call it Kraut for F>cks sake !,lol.
Vinny
My question... why would you want 1 wiper? I see ricers all the time who have ripped off one windshield wiper. I understand the thing you're talking about is not that ricey, but how is 1 big wiper better than 2 smaller ones? plus why waste money on that if your original assembly is not shot?

tgrandahl
07-26-2007, 07:43 AM
My original assembly is, well not shot, but on its way out. As i am rebuilding a lot of the car now its on the list. Im not looking to waste money and i understand that its better to have two. The fact that its a modification that really downgrades and confuses could be seen as "rice" yes. But if i pull the assembly anyways its something i gave though to trying to do myself. Right now every time my wipers park they smash into the upper lip of my hood. My freshly painted hood. I can mount them one "notch" higher on the hubs but then they look stupid, like they were never parked.

bmwrp8
07-26-2007, 07:57 AM
My original assembly is, well not shot, but on its way out. As i am rebuilding a lot of the car now its on the list. Im not looking to waste money and i understand that its better to have two. The fact that its a modification that really downgrades and confuses could be seen as "rice" yes. But if i pull the assembly anyways its something i gave though to trying to do myself. Right now every time my wipers park they smash into the upper lip of my hood. My freshly painted hood. I can mount them one "notch" higher on the hubs but then they look stupid, like they were never parked.

i have the same problems as yours before...my passenger wiper (left hand drive) hits the hood...What I did is I took out the assembly and just changed the the rubber ring in the passenger side...a friend of mine has the same problem also but his rubber was ok so he just reseated the rubber properly...since then it never touched the hood...hope this helps...the rubber is super cheap

Booster
07-26-2007, 09:05 AM
My question... why would you want 1 wiper? I see ricers all the time who have ripped off one windshield wiper. I understand the thing you're talking about is not that ricey, but how is 1 big wiper better than 2 smaller ones? plus why waste money on that if your original assembly is not shot?

To answer your Q, I?myself don't want one. The Germans however felt it a driving comfort instead of two visual tensions whilst driving in hard rains.It works great.Even Mercedes used it stock for some time ....theirs on a drive eccentric cam . US 300E models IIRC.
Vinny

bmwrp8
07-26-2007, 09:25 AM
To answer your Q, I?myself don't want one. The Germans however felt it a driving comfort instead of two visual tensions whilst driving in hard rains.It works great.Even Mercedes used it stock for some time ....theirs on a drive eccentric cam . US 300E models IIRC.
Vinny

yes I understand...stock cars that came with single wipers are great... but putting a mono wiper in a car that was originally designed for two...ummm i dunno...

Booster
07-26-2007, 09:33 AM
yes I understand...stock cars that came with single wipers are great... but putting a mono wiper in a car that was originally designed for two...ummm i dunno...

"Out of the box" thinking I guess. Its like questioning "why did they put body kits on a already nice design"?
Or..." why add performance bits to a decent performer"?

The old saying applies here....." Its good if YOU like it" !:p
Vinny

repenttokyo
07-26-2007, 10:26 AM
but some things are never, never good....like chrome on the wheel arches.

bmwrp8
07-26-2007, 11:41 AM
"Out of the box" thinking I guess. Its like questioning "why did they put body kits on a already nice design"?
Or..." why add performance bits to a decent performer"?

The old saying applies here....." Its good if YOU like it" !:p
Vinny

hehehe true...that why i told him..."still the decision is yours":D

Booster
07-26-2007, 12:07 PM

AMEN !:p

wjbell
07-26-2007, 05:29 PM

I know... I hate it when people put chrome all over the place with no taste whatsoever...

http://www.belletc.net/test/bmwflame.jpg

E34-520iSE
07-26-2007, 05:47 PM
I know... I hate it when people put chrome all over the place with no taste whatsoever...

http://www.belletc.net/test/bmwflame.jpg

PMSL!

Cheers,

Shaun M

Bin_jammin
07-26-2007, 06:13 PM

I always think outside the box. If you prefer one arm over two because to your eye it looks better, do it. If you think it will make your car faster (and you can prove that it will) do it. If you're doing it because you want to protect the paint on your hood, fix your car. There's a reason it's hitting, something is either mis-adjusted or worn.

If you still feel the need to modify your car and think outside the box, add a wiper part stop. A lot of cars have them, they're little black (usually) plastic things that the wipers park against. Basically it solves the problems you have. If you really want to further mod your car, find one that has a squirter nozzle built in, or see if you can find one that has a heated squirter, as it will keep the ice from forming on your wipers.

Come to think of it....

Macv
07-26-2007, 06:14 PM
How about the old Jags with 3 arms?

Is there a 3 arm conversion? :D

...j/k btw

wjbell
07-26-2007, 10:07 PM
PMSL!

Cheers,

Shaun M

Had to look that one up... cheers! ;)

tgrandahl
07-26-2007, 10:41 PM
i have the same problems as yours before...my passenger wiper (left hand drive) hits the hood...What I did is I took out the assembly and just changed the the rubber ring in the passenger side...a friend of mine has the same problem also but his rubber was ok so he just reseated the rubber properly...since then it never touched the hood...hope this helps...the rubber is super cheap

Ok, so im looking at the real oem blow up and it sounds like your referring to "06-RUBBER BOOT-3-61611378537-$4.30" Is this the part you replaced? It will be great to be able to order this before i pull the assembly and such.

bmwrp8
07-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Ok, so im looking at the real oem blow up and it sounds like your referring to "06-RUBBER BOOT-3-61611378537-$4.30" Is this the part you replaced? It will be great to be able to order this before i pull the assembly and such.

nope its the damper ring..no.16 and 24...but before you order check it first ...the damper might just be misaligned like my friends....

tgrandahl
07-26-2007, 11:23 PM
nope its the damper ring..no.16 and 24...but before you order check it first ...the damper might just be misaligned like my friends....

Oh wow waitup so you dont even have to pull the assembly to replace them? I will take a good look when the sun comes up. Thanks

bmwrp8
07-27-2007, 12:10 AM
Oh wow waitup so you dont even have to pull the assembly to replace them? I will take a good look when the sun comes up. Thanks

yep

madjeff
07-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Search, someone brought it up before, videos and all - it was pretty sweet. If I remember correctly, they had pictures of installation and all the little tidbits you had to look out for while doing it, quite informative if you ask me!

Hey Charles, sweet sig you have there! That e34 in the middle looks awesome! =)

attack eagle
07-27-2007, 05:33 PM
How about the old Jags with 3 arms?

Is there a 3 arm conversion? :D

OR MGBs... but that was simply becasue the windscreens were too short to allow coverage from only two wipers.

markus
07-27-2007, 11:26 PM
mono wiper = rice

Macv
07-28-2007, 12:24 AM
mono wiper = rice

tri wiper = ungodly

Booster
07-28-2007, 11:26 AM
mono wiper = rice

Lol....you mean Rice as in chavs in in jap wannabe rides that come with a mod like this ?( no real options I'm aware of)

Or....do you mean, Kraut as in AC Schnitzer brought about a drivers enhancement mod for the S5 owners to enjoy.( when not raining....it removes any crap in front of the drivers POV.:) )

repenttokyo
07-28-2007, 12:56 PM
there are easier ways to hide wipers in the design process.

Booster
07-28-2007, 01:00 PM
there are easier ways to hide wipers in the design process.

On a 16 year old E34 ??;) Surely you mean whilst designing NEW cars?:) Ours are where they are for keeps within the basic sheetmetal available.
The Mono works well.....but wouldn't compliment a stock appearing car,IMHO.
Vinny

attack eagle
07-28-2007, 01:24 PM
why do you need to hide the wiper from the Drivers POV?

IF you remove the wiper it only gives you a better look at the hood... not the road.

I don't mean to be mean, but ACS in the 80's was as much about flash as about substance. And back then single wiper conversions were "cool, tight, and tubular dude".
Whether it is ACS retrofit kits, or just me in my garage, the results are the same... it's fashion over function.

TO each their own, but I'd much rather have Two 20"+ wipers with 50% or more additional sweep area than a mono ???26??? in the rain.

Booster
07-28-2007, 02:10 PM
why do you need to hide the wiper from the Drivers POV?

IF you remove the wiper it only gives you a better look at the hood... not the road.

I don't mean to be mean, but ACS in the 80's was as much about flash as about substance. And back then single wiper conversions were "cool, tight, and tubular dude".
Whether it is ACS retrofit kits, or just me in my garage, the results are the same... it's fashion over function.

TO each their own, but I'd much rather have Two 20"+ wipers with 50% or more additional sweep area than a mono ???26??? in the rain.

I feel where your coming from Attack.:) Two arms might feel like they are covering more space to you, to me they don't. Just opinion.
The Mono runs abit faster to achieve the same rate/sweep.Just in one arch instead of two....with no overlap wasted.( I view it as wasted.)You and others might not.
Its always a to each his own sorta' deal.:p I think I'll change my mind and do it just because I'm doing a S5 clone.What the heck.
Vinny

Bin_jammin
07-28-2007, 02:39 PM
I feel where your coming from Attack.:) Two arms might feel like they are covering more space to you, to me they don't. Just opinion.
The Mono runs abit faster to achieve the same rate/sweep.Just in one arch instead of two....with no overlap wasted.( I view it as wasted.)You and others might not.
Its always a to each his own sorta' deal.:p I think I'll change my mind and do it just because I'm doing a S5 clone.What the heck.
Vinny

Actually, it's not opinion, it's fact. And this isn't a personal attack, just pointing it out, but if you've got two blades of (for argument's sake) 19", and they're doing sweeps that cover approximately 1/2 of a full circle, that gives you a total area swept of

A (area) = 3.14 (pi) r (radius - 19" for each wiper) square

that gives you an area for each wiper circle of 567 square inches (rounded up) and then halved because it's only traveling half the sweep of the circle. Two of them makes 1134 square inches covered by two wiper blades.

A single 26 inch wiper would only cover 1061 square inches, and it would have to do it in twice the time in order to do it as effectively as two wipers.

Basically, it's why most cars have multi-valve heads these days (the exception typically being pushrod engines). Manufacturers figured out you can get tons more airflow at much lower overall valve lift with two smaller valves than you could out of one larger valve. Think "Japanese" multivalve.

I recall a company called Dominion, they made a multivalve head for the Small Block Chevy, by using a forked rocker arm to actuate the valves. They had something like 1.8" intake valves, and they found that their two valves, at .400" lift, would flow better than a single 2.20" valve at .600" lift. That doesn't just mean that they perform better, it means less valvetrain wear, because you don't have such steep ramp angles on your cam lobes, and it means less valvetrain reciprocating losses, because you don't need retardedly strong valvesprings in order to keep the valves from floating with that much lift at high rpm. Don't know whatever happened to Dominion, but there's a company here http://www.araoengineering.com/ that does the very same thing.

*** EDIT *** Also did the math, a 27" wiper would cover 1144 square inches, so you would need a single blade of 27" to cover roughly equal the area of two 19" blades, however, I just checked, and a 1990 535i has a 22" driver's and 24" passenger's side blade, which give an area covered of 1664 square inches, even a 32" blade will only give you coverage over 1607 square inches. And have to cover that area at twice the speed to have the same amount of coverage in the same amount of time.

Now, I don't know about you, but I've totally been in cars that will rock side to side when the wipers are going at full tilt, using a single wiper that's whipping that fast, with the extra mass of an extra 10" or more of wiper length, a blade that's almost 3 feet long, you're going to notice it. It will even make your car wobble when going down the road, for real. Basically, you want to do it, be my guest, but while it may look smooth to your eye, I promise it won't feel smooth when you drive it.

On another note, do you live in an area with no or little rain or something? Why not fit a quick disconnect system to your wipers, and make a cubby hole in the trunk for them? You can jump out and pop your wipers on when the weather turns south, and be stylin' the rest of the time!

Booster
07-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Actually, it's not opinion, it's fact. And this isn't a personal attack, just pointing it out, but if you've got two blades of (for argument's sake) 19", and they're doing sweeps that cover approximately 1/2 of a full circle, that gives you a total area swept of

A (area) = 3.14 (pi) r (radius - 19" for each wiper) square

that gives you an area for each wiper circle of 567 square inches (rounded up) and then halved because it's only traveling half the sweep of the circle. Two of them makes 1134 square inches covered by two wiper blades.

A single 26 inch wiper would only cover 1061 square inches, and it would have to do it in twice the time in order to do it as effectively as two wipers.

Basically, it's why most cars have multi-valve heads these days (the exception typically being pushrod engines). Manufacturers figured out you can get tons more airflow at much lower overall valve lift with two smaller valves than you could out of one larger valve. Think "Japanese" multivalve.

I recall a company called Dominion, they made a multivalve head for the Small Block Chevy, by using a forked rocker arm to actuate the valves. They had something like 1.8" intake valves, and they found that their two valves, at .400" lift, would flow better than a single 2.20" valve at .600" lift. That doesn't just mean that they perform better, it means less valvetrain wear, because you don't have such steep ramp angles on your cam lobes, and it means less valvetrain reciprocating losses, because you don't need retardedly strong valvesprings in order to keep the valves from floating with that much lift at high rpm. Don't know whatever happened to Dominion, but there's a company here http://www.araoengineering.com/ that does the very same thing.

Agree totally within the subject of "head flow". My Japanese RB26DETT is a good example.(Nissan GT-R Skyline).Flows much better than my other Datsun Z engines with single OHC and fewer valves. Same displacement.(2.6)
But in regards to the dual wiper blades....are you subtracting, fairly ,the "overlapping" area ??:( As well as areas that visually are perhaps outside the visual regions?
No biggie to me.Its been fun talking about the personal differences on this though,;)
Vinny

Bin_jammin
07-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Agree totally within the subject of "head flow". My Japanese RB26DETT is a good example.(Nissan GT-R Skyline).Flows much better than my other Datsun Z engines with single OHC and fewer valves. Same displacement.(2.6)
But in regards to the dual wiper blades....are you subtracting, fairly ,the "overlapping" area ??:( As well as areas that visually are perhaps outside the visual regions?
No biggie to me.Its been fun talking about the personal differences on this though,;)
Vinny

Oh god, let someone ELSE do the math on a Saturday afternoon :) I did my part! I think I've proven my point though, the wiper blade you would need on a single would have to be enormous, and the added speed of the single blade would be stupid, so it's really not worth it by the numbers.

attack eagle
07-28-2007, 06:10 PM
actually he needs to redo the math... area swept is approximately 100 - 120 degrees.

my problem with it is the extreme left of the screen is better covered by a two wiper system (vertical from left and arcing to the right)... and that is the one i am looking thru.
overlapping coverage etc be damned... the arc of the screen is goign to leave a significant uncovered area on the lefthand side... right where I (at 6') will be looking thru...

The Mecedes gets around this somewhat by having the arm shorten as it reaches vertical (to fit the largest blade possible) and extend agina as it sweeps off vertical to make the swept area fatter to the L & R. This would not be possible with a rigid arm, and to me the Mercedes were tolerable but not optimal.

I live in a Desert, so it is either very little rain, or a freaking Monsoonal Downpour. Being originally from MS, I am more concerned with performance during 3" per hour downpours, though they may be only occasional here.

Like I said, I am happy with what i have, and to me the asymmetrical
aesthetic when parked + less coverage in front of the driver outweigh the esthetics during operation.

I would love to see a quick vid of the ACS piece in operation and observe the actual coverage... who knows I might change my mind on it's practicality.

Booster
07-28-2007, 06:16 PM
actually he needs to redo the math... area swept is approximately 100 - 120 degrees.

my problem with it is the extreme left of the screen is better covered by a two wiper system (vertical from left and arcing to the right)... and that is the one i am looking thru.
overlapping coverage etc be damned... the arc of the screen is goign to leave a significant uncovered area on the lefthand side... right where I (at 6') will be looking thru...

The Mecedes gets around this somewhat by having the arm shorten as it reaches vertical (to fit the largest blade possible) and extend agina as it sweeps off vertical to make the swept area fatter to the L & R. This would not be possible with a rigid arm, and to me the Mercedes were tolerable but not optimal.

I live in a Desert, so it is either very little rain, or a freaking Monsoonal Downpour. Being originally from MS, I am more concerned with performance during 3" per hour downpours, though they may be only occasional here.

Like I said, I am happy with what i have, and to me the asymmetrical
aesthetic when parked + less coverage in front of the driver outweigh the esthetics during operation.

I would love to see a quick vid of the ACS piece in operation and observe the actual coverage... who knows I might change my mind on it's practicality.

I'm attemting to get vid of this mod in action for us to see,I'm sure it'll still look odd in motion. I'm going to attempt the mod later and I'll post a vid of it from inside the car while hittingit with the hose/carwash etc.
It may suck or be worse...lol.
Vinny