PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock height - 89 535

pomko
07-24-2007, 01:35 PM
The rear shocks were replaced recently with KYB.
The right rear now sits a bit lower than the left rear.
Is the problem the shock, or the installation, or something else?

Thanks

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-24-2007, 02:12 PM
The rear shocks were replaced recently with KYB.
The right rear now sits a bit lower than the left rear.
Is the problem the shock, or the installation, or something else?

Thanks

Impact ride height as much as the re installation of the spring, seats and possibly the spring pirch on the shock.

pomko
07-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Impact ride height as much as the re installation of the spring, seats and possibly the spring pirch on the shock.

I understand the springs and the spring pirch (if it just refers to some point of attachment); but how do the seats affect the ride height?

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-24-2007, 03:50 PM
I understand the springs and the spring pirch (if it just refers to some point of attachment); but how do the seats affect the ride height?

Those rubber seats on the ends of the springs, if they are not seated right with the end of the coil it will add a bit of height.

pomko
07-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Those rubber seats on the ends of the springs, if they are not seated right with the end of the coil it will add a bit of height.

The "seats" that I thought you were referring to are those that you sit on - since they had to be removed to access the shocks.
Now I understand.
And now I have to convince the mechanic that the shocks weren't installed properly. Should be interesting.
Thanks for your help.

genphreak
07-24-2007, 05:52 PM
The "seats" that I thought you were referring to are those that you sit on - since they had to be removed to access the shocks.
Now I understand.
And now I have to convince the mechanic that the shocks weren't installed properly. Should be interesting.
Thanks for your help. Just get underneath or tke each wheel off to have a look. An e34s rear springs cannot seat badly as far as I know. They are flattened on each end, so unless the shock has adjustable perches (the difference is about 10mm (KYBs don't)), then just take the car up and down a lump or two and/or just let it settle. If you have 20 year old springs, it could be them. Only tinkg to try might be swapping them around L-R... one could be 'used to' more load than the other... who knows

pomko
07-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Just get underneath or tke each wheel off to have a look. An e34s rear springs cannot seat badly as far as I know. They are flattened on each end, so unless the shock has adjustable perches (the difference is about 10mm (KYBs don't)), then just take the car up and down a lump or two and/or just let it settle. If you have 20 year old springs, it could be them. Only tinkg to try might be swapping them around L-R... one could be 'used to' more load than the other... who knows

I guess I'll refrain from yelling at my mechanic.
From your explanation it appears that the installation is not the problem. Could a faulty shock be the culprit? Or should I just accept the fact that I have aging springs.

Thanks for your explanation (and a thanks from my mechanic...)

bmwrp8
07-24-2007, 11:18 PM
I guess I'll refrain from yelling at my mechanic.
From your explanation it appears that the installation is not the problem. Could a faulty shock be the culprit? Or should I just accept the fact that I have aging springs.

Thanks for your explanation (and a thanks from my mechanic...)

i don't think its the shocks esp.if its not bouncing around...what year is your car? probably its the springs... was your car like that before you installed your shocks?if yes then probably its the springs if not check the installation or have a second opinion from a different mechanic.

pomko
07-24-2007, 11:27 PM
i don't think its the shocks esp.if its not bouncing around...what year is your car? probably its the springs... was your car like that before you installed your shocks?if yes then probably its the springs if not check the installation or have a second opinion from a different mechanic.

It's an 89.
You know, I never noticed how the car sat before the new shocks.
I think that it makes sense that it may be the springs.

bmwrp8
07-24-2007, 11:33 PM
It's an 89.
You know, I never noticed how the car sat before the new shocks.
I think that it makes sense that it may be the springs.

we have the same model...and I changed my spring already because we had the same problem...though I didn't bought OEM:D

pomko
07-25-2007, 08:51 AM
we have the same model...and I changed my spring already because we had the same problem...though I didn't bought OEM:D

I guess it may be time to take a look at new springs.

Thanks