PDA

View Full Version : window wiper issue!!

adashio
07-23-2007, 10:05 PM
my passenger side windscreen wiper doesnt wipe at all, its not sticking to the windscreen. ive tried bending the arm slightly to no avail. the driver side (passenger side on american cars) works completly fine. i swapped the wiper blades over but still the same.

what could be stopping my wiper from making contact with the windshield?

Paul in NZ
07-24-2007, 03:38 AM
so it moves across the screen but the blade does not contact the screen???

whiskychaser
07-24-2007, 05:14 AM
Broken or weak wiper arm spring?

adashio
07-24-2007, 08:02 AM
yes doesnt make contact. dont know about the spring, it makes contact with the windscreen for about 3 inches down the bottom

DaveVoorhis
07-24-2007, 08:12 AM
dont know about the spring
Check the spring.

mikell
07-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Make sure the wiper arm is secured fully to the axel, and the nut tightened?

adashio
07-24-2007, 08:42 AM
yes thanks i will most def. check these things tomorrow, its midnight right now and 3 degrees celcius (37.4 farren) so its a no no right now hehe.

stgarage
07-24-2007, 10:03 AM
my passenger side windscreen wiper doesnt wipe at all, its not sticking to the windscreen. ive tried bending the arm slightly to no avail. the driver side (passenger side on american cars) works completly fine. i swapped the wiper blades over but still the same.

I just fixed this on a friends minivan (yuck!) buy spraying penetrating lube on the hinge and moving it back and forth a few times. Maybe this would work for yours.

bsell
07-24-2007, 11:59 AM

Have you flexed the blade recently? The blade could be stuck in the arm in such a way that all of the spring force is transfered to the bottom end of the blade. So grab that rascal and see if the rubber blade will move around in the arm at all. Plus the rubber should bow towards the glass from the middle of the blade when you pick up the arm off the windshield.

Brian

adashio
07-25-2007, 08:38 AM
well it seems the problem was a cheap skate PO. i inspected the wipers closer and the arm was bent, the PO had bought arms too big, and instead of returning them jammed them on, the metal was even bent with him jamming them on there.

went down the local auto shop, invested in some $12 CORRECT fitting wipers and were in business, thanks guys for all your help, it may come in useful at some later stage!