PDA

View Full Version : Clunk when changing from Drive to Reverse

Cephas
07-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi,

I get a clunk and a bit of rocking movement in the rear end when I change from Drive to Reverse.
It feels like something is winding up under the torque then hitting a stop.

If I go from a long / overnight stop in Park directly to Reverse I get nothing. Its only when changing from Drive to Reverse after moving.

I suspect something loose in the rear end rather than a diff / gearbox issue. Is that reasonable? Any known issue that causes this?

Thanks.

trumpetr
07-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Sounds a bit like broken tranny mounts.

attack eagle
07-23-2007, 10:55 PM
chekc the brake caliper bolts and caliper mount bolts.

One of my caliper mount bolts was loose and was giving exact same symptoms. I found the problem when it finally came out and the wheel locked up. Luckily I wasn't on the roadways and was only driving 5 mph.

Bin_jammin
07-23-2007, 11:05 PM
You probably have play in the ring and pinion gear sets. Take the back cover off the diff (after draining the fluid) and rock the pinion (where the driveshaft bolts up) while holding the ring still. See if that's where your play is. You may be able to tighten up your crush bearing in the pinion a bit to remove the play, but I'd say overall a diff is pretty cheap and it sounds like yours is on the fast train to the big adios.

Ferret
07-24-2007, 04:34 AM
If I go from D to R I get a loud clunk and the back of the car and it bounces...

However I know my diff is shot, it whines on overrun, but finding a new one's going to be fun as the Diesels use a stupid ratio version. Might whack a 540 diff in there... the alternative is having to have the b*stard rebuilt.

ŁkerchingŁ

Ross
07-24-2007, 11:35 AM
What've you Bin smokin'? Gear lash has nothing to do with this. Further tightening of the crush sleeve will result in MORE lash BTW.

Cephas
07-24-2007, 10:28 PM
The diff seems fine under all other conditions.

If there was play in the gears I'd expect various horrible noises, clucks and some lateral movement but not the vertical 'windup' effect on the suspension.

bmwrp8
07-24-2007, 11:24 PM
The diff seems fine under all other conditions.

If there was play in the gears I'd expect various horrible noises, clucks and some lateral movement but not the vertical 'windup' effect on the suspension.

prop shaft?center bearing?guibo?

bmwrp8
07-24-2007, 11:26 PM
What've you Bin smokin'?

hahaha

Vanguard
07-25-2007, 09:36 AM
prop shaft?center bearing?guibo?

That's where I'd look first.