PDA

View Full Version : muffler replacement

misfortune
07-23-2007, 12:13 PM
So yeah my muffler is shot, apparently the wrong one anyway, and I need a replacement, as the old one melted. I heard good things about magnaflow.

What size do I need for my 89 535i?

genphreak
07-24-2007, 06:59 AM
Go with an ANSA - abut $200 and follows the BMW design to a tee. Universals are nowhere near as good on these cars. Search the forum- e34/e32 exhausts are brilliantly designed.

yaofeng
07-24-2007, 07:39 AM
I thought Eberspacher is the original supplier. Quite expensive too. The resonator and the muffler came in two pieces from AutoHauz for $580. I paid additional $120 to have them welded. The original Eberspacher lasted 12 years. The new set should outlast my 525,

genphreak
07-24-2007, 07:54 AM
I thought Eberspacher is the original supplier. Quite expensive too. The resonator and the muffler came in two pieces from AutoHauz for $580. I paid additional $120 to have them welded. The original Eberspacher lasted 12 years. The new set should outlast my 525,Yea, Eber is probably one of the best.

Ansa are just good and cheap, htey are OEM- not OE.

I don't thinkg they are that bad though, made in Spain I think. Far better than any glass pack/custom dodge up. :) Nick

filip00
07-24-2007, 10:48 AM
open exhaust (as far as for the last one) is a great thing for our cars. if it's deCATed, you can feel a bit faster throttle response.

repenttokyo
07-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Go with an ANSA - abut $200 and follows the BMW design to a tee. Universals are nowhere near as good on these cars. Search the forum- e34/e32 exhausts are brilliantly designed.

what exactly about the design of our enormous mufflers makes them better than a straight pipe with a universal muffler? I am not saying there would be a gain with an aftermarket muffler, but I cannot see there being a loss in power - and there would certainly be a loss in weight, which is always welcome.

misfortune
07-24-2007, 11:37 PM
haha wow, the choices are staggering, someone help, thanks.
The magnaflow stuff seems to be within my part time college student price range.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=magnaflow&N=700+115+4294922710&Ntk=KeywordSearch

BennyM
10-01-2008, 09:05 PM
what exactly about the design of our enormous mufflers makes them better than a straight pipe with a universal muffler? I am not saying there would be a gain with an aftermarket muffler, but I cannot see there being a loss in power - and there would certainly be a loss in weight, which is always welcome.

I would definitely like to know the answer to this question as well. Can someone post a link to an article or a previous convo about this?

BennyM

bad_manners_god
10-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Well, before I destroyed my old exhaust system and replaced it with a 2.5" straight pipe with a high flow magnaflow cat and a aftermarket muffler....sounds REALLY nice low rpm, INCREDIBLLY LOUD anything over 3200rpm.

However, before I made this stupid decision, I had taken down the stock exhaust rear portion to replace the donuts and at the same time, cut open the muffler and reasonator and took out all the loose pieces that caused that awful rattling.

After that it sounded great for a stock exhaust....from the front of the car you would hear the Intake, from the back of the car, you would hear a exotic car sound, sounded like a ferrari somewhere around 5000rpm. I changed the exhaust just because I wanted bigger tips....what an idiot I was.

Ross
10-02-2008, 09:35 AM
I would definitely like to know the answer to this question as well. Can someone post a link to an article or a previous convo about this?

BennyM

The stock exhaust is quiet, the whole point of a muffler.
You guys can all have your Magna flow, flowmaster, glasspacks , whatever. I don't care to listen to the thing drone along. If I want to hear engines I'll go to the racetrack.
Another car of mine is Ansa equipped, good product in my opinion.

repenttokyo
10-02-2008, 10:08 AM
The stock exhaust is quiet, the whole point of a muffler.
You guys can all have your Magna flow, flowmaster, glasspacks , whatever. I don't care to listen to the thing drone along. If I want to hear engines I'll go to the racetrack.
Another car of mine is Ansa equipped, good product in my opinion.

you CAN get a good setup that won't drone. it's all about matching the right components to the system.