PDA

View Full Version : Drivers side leather repair query

Black 535i
07-23-2007, 11:32 AM
I have noticed that one of the seams in my drivers side seat where the side bolster meet sthe seat base has split and I have to repair it. Has anyone done this and how long does it take. I assume that I have to remove the seat and then the leather as well to get to the back of the leather correct? I have been told that I do not need the speacial metal clips at the rear for reinstall but could just use short zip ties to reattach the leather again. Is this correct as well? Just curious how long I should budget for this job? I will not be doing it until the weather is cooler as it is 90 F here in Chicago and I do not need the aggravation right now.

RobPatt
07-24-2007, 08:49 PM
my seat seam separated on the drivers seat right under the ass part.... came apart about 2 inches.

take the back rest portion of the seat off. the remove the bottom seat part (just make it easier to get the thing out in 2 pieces...).

take the side plastics off the seat... then bend back the wicked sharp points of metal which hold the leater bottom in place... then I forget exactly, but it's kinda obvoius... remove a few clips, etc... then you can take the whole leather cover w/foam backing off the seat frame... separate the leather from the foam if you wish... get a big ass needle and some strong thread and have at it...

go to a chandlery (sail shop..like for making sails for sailboats... to get strong dacron thread or else just use heavy waxed dental floss...) Cheers.

I have noticed that one of the seams in my drivers side seat where the side bolster meet sthe seat base has split and I have to repair it. Has anyone done this and how long does it take. I assume that I have to remove the seat and then the leather as well to get to the back of the leather correct? I have been told that I do not need the speacial metal clips at the rear for reinstall but could just use short zip ties to reattach the leather again. Is this correct as well? Just curious how long I should budget for this job? I will not be doing it until the weather is cooler as it is 90 F here in Chicago and I do not need the aggravation right now.

Black 535i
07-25-2007, 06:33 AM
Like I said, I will do it when the weather is cooler so I don't sweat all day long in the garage

Ross
07-25-2007, 09:29 AM
If the seam has split I'm guessing the leather is a bit hard and has shrunk.
Since you intend to wait for cooler weather take the time to try and soften the leather with conditioners to make reinstalling the cover easier.
When they are hard and dry it is nearly impossible to refit them, trust me.

Black 535i
07-25-2007, 03:41 PM
I will keep that in mind and start doing that.