PDA

View Full Version : Car cranks but won't start - Ideas??

Adnan
07-22-2007, 09:36 AM
UPDATE:

I went over to the car this morning and she started right up, as if nothing had happened. It would seem than that this is in some way temperature related. I recall that there is sometimes an issue with hot start on the M30, as reported by others. I'll do a search but if anyone has direct knowledge of this, I'd love to hear.

Again, thanks.

Adnan

Hi,

I just got back from a three week vacation and the first thing I did was make a run to the grocery store. Car fired up right away, like normal and ran just fine to the store, a two-mile trip. Car is a '91 535i, 5-speed.

Getting back to the car, she refused to start. Cranking is strong and every now and then, she would hiccup as if she were trying to catch. I think I heard a backfire-like noise a couple of times (but not that loud) and I smelled gas in the exhaust.

My guess is that I have either a Crank Position sensor problem, or fuel delivery or spark issue. I had filled the fuel tank fully before I left so it's not a moisture condensation problem. Any suggestions on a trouble-shooting procedure or areas to focus on? I'm going to have her towed home by AAA since it's close by.

This is the first time the car has done anything like this as she has always been completely reliable (other than one time when the battery drained). Oh, when I first started her, I received a brake light message but the bulbs are fine. I doubt that's related but you never know.

Thanks for any assistance,
Adnan

filip00
07-22-2007, 10:42 AM
see if the fuel pump iz buzzing. if it isn't then it's not working --> needs replacing.

open the trunk, remove the carpet, and have someone to crank your car. when it goes to contact 2 and cranks, you should hear the pump buzzin.

Tiger
07-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Sounds like crank position sensor.

Dr. evil
07-22-2007, 02:58 PM
i had a problem similar to yours. drove to the autozone when i came back out
car sputtered for the first couple of cranks but didn't fire up. so i check for fuel pressure by just pulling the hose to the fuel rail. fuel went everwhere so i figured the fuel stuff was all good. turns out after checking everthing else the fuel pump was working off and on.

my best advice it to get a perssure gauge and see what the pressure is that the fuel rail. from what i understand the injector as somewhat picky with the pressure.

Podmore
07-24-2007, 06:06 AM
My vote is for the CPS for a total no-start problem. Often temperature AND moisture related issues with the CPS. Spark problems unlikely unless your rotor fell apart. Fuel pump a possibility but even with a poorly functioning fuel pump you can generally get a few spurts out of a start.

Good luck!

Jeff N.
07-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Might check your relays and fuses for corrosion. Pull 'em and reseat them. Fuel pump relay in particular.

Adnan
07-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Hi,

Many thanks for the tips. I haven't done anything with the car yet but will attempt some troubleshooting over the weekend. Of course, she's started up just fine everytime I've tried so I may never get to the bottom of this.

Regards,
Adnan