PDA

View Full Version : Thrust arm bushes

Sidney Rough-Diamond
07-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Am I correct that the options are : stock, 750 , or Powerflex ? After two vists to the Nurburgring , my 6 month old bushes are dead. I'm thinking Powerflex now,anyone using them ? Also, is the Powerflex part a single slide in part with a metal tube center, or a two part bush ?

Cheers

Robin-535im
07-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Am I correct that the options are : stock, 750 , or Powerflex ? After two vists to the Nurburgring , my 6 month old bushes are dead. I'm thinking Powerflex now,anyone using them ? Also, is the Powerflex part a single slide in part with a metal tube center, or a two part bush ?

Cheers
I believe M5 bushings also fit. Seem to recall Winfred saying he preferred those over 750's but I've only used 750's.

BigKriss
07-21-2007, 09:38 PM
m5 bushes are available that fit fine in the arm. the powerflex are two piece and don't need to be pressed in. They are popular in the UK (as you are), but not so elsewhere.

Sidney Rough-Diamond
07-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Thanks. Just seen that ireland Engineering in the Staes sell another type. http://www.bmw2002.com/

Jehu
07-22-2007, 12:46 PM
I bought M5 bushings but have yet to install them . Running the 750's now for a year. Did those Hub-centric Rings do the trick?

Sidney Rough-Diamond
07-22-2007, 02:09 PM
I bought M5 bushings but have yet to install them . Running the 750's now for a year. Did those Hub-centric Rings do the trick?

Do you know, I haven't got the wheels completed yet ! The last Nurburgring trip eat the budget for them,and the post-trip damage is doing the same this month. The car needs :
2 new engine mounts
2 thrust arm bushes
4 gearbox mounts
Pair of front discs and pads
pair of rear discs and pads
1 exhaust hanger rubber
Plus, when I bought the car it had a ding in the sump pan. I bought another off US eBay and have this to change before another trip to the Nurburgring at the end of August. I will get those wheels completed and mounted on the car, promise !

jonmar
07-22-2007, 02:14 PM
I've the front kit from powerflex, just yet to install it.

As far goes for qualtiy, they seem to work great on my friends e36. Of course it not as smooth as rubber, but no pain - no gain.

Will problaby last your car out, and you should be able to reuse them if you have to change control arms.

mancini_mark
07-22-2007, 05:47 PM
I just installed the Bavarian Autosport urethane busnings. Very nice. Way more responive than 750 bushings, and not harsh at all. Someone here told me they were made by Noltec in Australia. I love them. Can't comment on durability yet, but they have to be better than rubber.

Also, they do have a metal sleeve inside. You grease them up with lots of lithium grease, and they slide right in...and don't squeak.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Ross
07-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Since these bushings are such a popular topic please post what brand it was that failed in six months. I don't see how the grun Holle would do them in.

Tiger
07-23-2007, 09:54 AM
I think the thrust bushing was never torqued in right... The car must be on ground before tightening... those who didn't do this will rip the bushing apart in no time.

Sidney Rough-Diamond
07-23-2007, 12:05 PM
I think they are Meyle ( sp ? ) brand and came complete with the arms. The shop that fitted them did so on a lift and dropped it to the floor to load them before the final torque. I was there when they did this,so it wasn't the problem. I think it's more likely that they are cheap junk and nearly 1000 miles on the Nurburgring killed them.

leicesterboy15
07-24-2007, 12:27 AM
how hard is this job to do? I've just ordered all the parts (upper and Lower arms and Stabiliser links), I've just got to do it now, my biggest fear is getting the axle stands in the wrong place because I've never used them before.

leicesterboy15
07-24-2007, 12:29 AM
I think 1000 track miles would do that to any bushes wouldn't it?

Sidney Rough-Diamond
07-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I expected longer for the bushes,but then I did my cheap and paid the price.OE parts would have been a better buy. Had it been just a to-work-and-back car, then they may have been ok for a long time. Who knows.
Doesn't look to hard to do, but then I've not done it on this car as a local mate did this for me on his lift. Read up at www.bmwe34.net

Tiger
07-24-2007, 12:52 PM
If the bushings are already pressed in... then not too hard. If bushings are not in place... you will need a 20 ton press to pop them in.

Tiger
07-24-2007, 12:56 PM
You are probably on the right track to go urethane bushings... as long the cost is reasonable... Otherwise, I'd probably just pop in the M5 bushings in. I think OE standard bushing would have break off much sooner. Maybe OE 750 bushing might last longer (Boge)...

For track, I assume you are not doing the boring oval track... so they will wear out the bushing pretty fast. 1000 miles of track driving is a TON... I think after every race for the pro cars... they change everything... 500 miles racing is like 50,000 miles wear for regular car....

Sidney Rough-Diamond
07-24-2007, 02:15 PM
For track, I assume you are not doing the boring oval track... so they will wear out the bushing pretty fast. 1000 miles of track driving is a TON... I think after every race for the pro cars... they change everything... 500 miles racing is like 50,000 miles wear for regular car....

I only worked it out after the intial post, approx 70 + laps of the 'Ring at 13 some odd mile per lap. I guess that is a lot of abuse, no wonder BMW develops every new car there :)