PDA

View Full Version : OT: harry potter

markus
07-20-2007, 11:39 PM
god this has to have been the most boring movie i have ever seen. ia ctually fell alseep. only went cuz my gf wanted to. not as bad or boring as zodiac and 23 though. those movies were so ****ing redundant it gave me a headache.

Macv
07-21-2007, 08:36 AM
harry potter = lame.

markus
07-21-2007, 06:27 PM
i totally agree. but sometimes u gotta take one for the team to keep ur gf happy.

Jon K
07-21-2007, 06:32 PM
I thought it was interesting albeit confusing

markus
07-21-2007, 06:39 PM
maybe but i never saw the first 3 or 4 or however many movies came before it.

what was creepy were the middle aged guys who came in and watched the movies by themselves.

ThoreauHD
07-21-2007, 06:42 PM
This movie seemed to be more of a filler. Sorta like the twin towers in the lord of the rings. Not the beginning, and not the end. All in all I thought this should been a prelude to the ending, rather than a standalone movie.

-Super-Future-Spoiler-
I just think it's wierd Harry marrying Ginny and not the asian girl. But whatever, guess doin your friends kid sister is better than having a healthy relationship with a asian girl in Rowling land.

BFEINZIMER
07-21-2007, 09:03 PM
the # 23 was ****in crazy

i liked 1408 too

Ferret
07-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Well, it was the most political of the books... they didnt have much to work on really.

The last book is excellent though.

ryan roopnarine
07-22-2007, 10:24 PM
i don't know how any self-respecting adult can read that (cough) mess and defend it to other adults as a respectable choice in reading material. they're published by scholastic, for christ's sake, and I sure as hell don't remember a resurgence in psychotrophics back 'round 97-99, when that dreadful series started coming out. at least (that) explained the popularity of JRR Tolkein books.. i like "you can't do that on TV," yes, but only for reasons of nostalgia (like me being moved to read a damn scholastic book......). And I'm certainly not going to try and impeach another adult's intelligence level if they don't laugh at one of the characters' request for "alanis." as you can probably tell, I can't bring myself to coexist with the potter-kind (adults) any longer.

Alexlind123
07-22-2007, 11:24 PM
This movie seemed to be more of a filler. Sorta like the twin towers in the lord of the rings. Not the beginning, and not the end. All in all I thought this should been a prelude to the ending, rather than a standalone movie.

-Super-Future-Spoiler-
I just think it's wierd Harry marrying Ginny and not the asian girl. But whatever, guess doin your friends kid sister is better than having a healthy relationship with a asian girl in Rowling land.

You miserable piece of ****. If thats what actually happens you dont even deserve to drive an e34.

Ferret
07-23-2007, 02:20 AM
they're published by scholastic, for christ's sake

Lmao, judging a book by its cover? :p

Macv
07-23-2007, 07:19 AM
Lmao, judging a book by its cover?

He's got a point. How many good books come from Scholastic?

Ferret
07-23-2007, 08:12 AM
He's got a point. How many good books come from Scholastic?

He does have a point, yes, but in the UK they're published under Bloomsbury books, which do have some very good titles. I dont know whether they're affiliated or not though.

At the end of the day I liked the books as I was still in high school when I read the first few which were yes, immature but the last of the books matured somewhat.

I always appreciate a set of books if I can guess what the ending of the series was going to be before I've read the final book, but only if it's not dropping obvious hints and using intelligence to put that across.

Kim Stanley Robinsons Mars series I liked for that reason - as well as Iain M Banks' stuff. I think it was 'The Algebraist' that was one of the cleverest ones he's written to date.

Tbh nothing's a bad book if you learn something from it or it makes you have to think.

Alexlind123
07-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Does anyone find it slightly amusing the everyone who bashes harry potter has never read one of the books?

BMWDriver
07-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Yeah. There must be something in there that seriously bothers them. I bet they can't exactly pinpoint it.

Macv
07-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Does anyone find it slightly amusing the everyone who bashes harry potter has never read one of the books?

I've read everyone of them up to the newest. Yet I still can't stand them.

ryan roopnarine
07-23-2007, 04:12 PM
being forced to read the first one for a class was good enough for me. seriously...I didn't need to hear anymore after suggesting that the structure of "quiddich" (sp? i don't care anyways) resembled "jump to conclusions" and being told that i was too dumb to get it. If i need to read anything, there are two 1000 page volumes of the norton anthology of english literature that deserve more of my time. and though it kills me to say it, many of the authors that surround commodore shakespeare in that collection wrote some real rank crap, too.

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-23-2007, 04:28 PM
15, 13, & 6.

I'll wait for them to come out on DVD, so I can have a few beers for the "special effects"

BradHouser
07-23-2007, 06:14 PM
what was creepy were the middle aged guys who came in and watched the movies by themselves.

Creepy? I am 50. :( Probably older than most of the whipper snappers here. I was on a day trip to San Francisco attending a trade fair, and I decided I had enough walking, so I went to the Metreon and watched it in IMAX and the last 20 minutes were in 3D. Pretty cool.

I thought the movie was not the best of the ones so far, but it was good. I have read the first book, my 18 yo daughter has read all 7 (or about to finish the 7th, she didn't get it until late saturday).

It is for KIDS. But adults can like it too. I am not ashamed to admit it. Nothing creepy about it.

Now can we get back to E34 talk? I didn't come here to discuss Harry Potter.

How many of you were driving when your car was new? I was driving a '79 BMW 733i.

Qube
07-23-2007, 10:30 PM
The movie sucked. The storyline was MUCH better in the book. I think they just stopped trying with the movies. Uh, I didn't read the book.... um :\

attack eagle
07-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Creepy? I am 50.
It is for KIDS. But adults can like it too. I am not ashamed to admit it. Nothing creepy about it.

Now can we get back to E34 talk? I didn't come here to discuss Harry Potter.

How many of you were driving when your car was new? I was driving a '79 BMW 733i.

ME... I started driving legally in 1990 or thereabouts. I was driving as far back as 1987 or 88, so yeah.

I look forward to reading the books... AFTER I have watched the movies. I found when you read the book, a movie is never satisfying. But if you watch the movie it's kind of like reading a book report or review...

I like the E.R. Burroughs Martian Chronicles, Chronicles of Narnia and LOTR too. And I got turned on to that Shrewd human analyst and provocateur Heinlein after reading some of his shorter works (Have Space Suit Will travel, Star Beast, Starship Troopers, etc) that were disguising themselves as Children's books in my School library... Then "The moon is a harsh mistress" at age 12...damn them... I've been a rational Anarchist ever since.