PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help Needed Please!

Evan
07-17-2007, 07:06 PM
I woke up this morning and my car wouldn't start. I don't know much about cars so I opened the hood and snapped a quick photo of the engine compartment.

To those of you with more experience than I have:

Does anything look out of order?

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-17-2007, 07:27 PM
I woke up this morning and my car wouldn't start. I don't know much about cars so I opened the hood and snapped a quick photo of the engine compartment.

maybe it's the CPS, or main relay

bones
07-17-2007, 07:28 PM
make sure your battery has a full charge,the problem is that loose chain that you can see in the front of your engine.turn the ignition to the start position and crank the engine until it stops turning.this will give the automatic chain adjuster enough time to draw most of the chain into the engine where it should be. bones

Dave M
07-17-2007, 07:32 PM
maybe it's the CPS, or main relay

RONG!!!! Quite obvious its a giant vacuum leak. Try a search next time, newb.

yaofeng
07-17-2007, 07:42 PM

Put the heads back into the block before cranking the engine.

Bin_jammin
07-17-2007, 09:27 PM
I think you're low on headlight fluid.

Macv
07-17-2007, 09:47 PM
A rear wheel alignment might knock that back into shape.

bmwrp8
07-18-2007, 12:05 AM
bump.... try cranking it straight for 10mins..:D might start:D

Ferret
07-18-2007, 01:30 AM
Blatantly this is a diff problem, probably seized. The resulting torque back up through the gearbox has caused your M40B18 engine to rip itself free of its mounts and is leaning towards the left side of the car, not the right.

:D

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-18-2007, 02:08 AM
it's just missing the plastic engine covers.

Ferret
07-18-2007, 02:25 AM
it's just missing the plastic engine covers.

Damn, it was so obvious too...

mattyb
07-18-2007, 02:37 AM
No! none of the above. im sorry guys you have all missed the obvious, its definately a NIKASIL issue

whiskychaser
07-18-2007, 06:24 AM
Its that red ring thingy at the bottom left of the pic. Not seen one of those before

mattyb
07-18-2007, 06:47 AM
no way gentlemen , this is obviously a serious NIKASIL issue, but need dr Regal to confirm diagnosis

BuckNaked
07-18-2007, 07:03 AM
...looks like the dipstick isn't seated properly. Ask him to move to the rear passenger seat before trying to start the car.

Ferret
07-18-2007, 07:16 AM
no way gentlemen , this is obviously a serious NIKASIL issue, but need dr Regal to confirm diagnosis

Confirmed nikasil issue by the way that all the pistons are out of synch :( they dont all go up and down together, no 2 looks like it's out considerably.

Ross
07-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Have you tried the stomp test?
Post this on roadfly.

Rusty Bavaria
07-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Engine looks like it might be suffering from failed muffler bearings.

Best of luck with that, they are a PITA to repair.

Evan
07-18-2007, 07:37 PM
thanks for all the help.

I checked the headlight fluid and replaced the differential. I replaced the engine covers and put the dipstick in the rear seat. I also replaced the battery and cranked the engine but it stopped cranking after about 10 seconds. I'm at my wit's end with this.. not sure how to proceed.

The muffler bearings are the only thing I didn't check but I've been up for 40 hours straight and I need to get some rest. I'll have a go at it again tomorrow morning and see if I have better luck.

Thanks for your help and if you have any more ideas... please don't hesitate to post!

Cheers,
Evan

Macv
07-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Another bimmer saved by the intellygents and quik thinking of bimmer.info

bmwrp8
07-18-2007, 07:51 PM
thanks for all the help.

I checked the headlight fluid and replaced the differential. I replaced the engine covers and put the dipstick in the rear seat. I also replaced the battery and cranked the engine but it stopped cranking after about 10 seconds. I'm at my wit's end with this.. not sure how to proceed.

The muffler bearings are the only thing I didn't check but I've been up for 40 hours straight and I need to get some rest. I'll have a go at it again tomorrow morning and see if I have better luck.

Thanks for your help and if you have any more ideas... please don't hesitate to post!

Cheers,
Evan

hmmm...it stopped cranking about after 10 seconds...ok, this is what you do, take out the battery then solder additional wires in both positive and negative wires about 5-10feet long. then in the other end of the wire instAll a plug...then plug it in the house socket. If you have 220volts the better...then CRANK for 10 mins. straight...don't worry we could figure this...better to do this wet after taking a shower;)

Evan
07-18-2007, 07:53 PM
dude let's try to keep it real... any fool would know that wouldn't work... you'd trip a breaker

bmwrp8
07-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Another bimmer saved by the intellygents and quik thinking of bimmer.info

makes you feel good and have that tingling sensation all over your body doesn't it?:D

bmwrp8
07-18-2007, 07:57 PM
dude let's try to keep it real... any fool would know that wouldn't work... you'd trip a breaker

oopps my bad...if you could borrow a welding machine use that:p

Vanguard
07-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Engine looks like it might be suffering from failed muffler bearings.

Best of luck with that, they are a PITA to repair.

If you do buy replacement muffler bearings, make sure only to buy Lemforder not that eBay junk.

Dr. evil
07-19-2007, 12:00 PM
aaahh no, i think everone knows that this is a fuel pressure problem. Get a torch cut a hole in you fuel tank and check the pressure at the pump

GoldenEagleFan
07-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Last time I had an issue with starting with one of the other vehicles I own my wife came out and offered her opinion. She thought it was the "big sparky thing" not working correctly. Turns out it was the ignition coil so now I have a resident consultant for any car problems I run into....

Evan
07-19-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm willing to do a lot of things to get this fixed... getting married is not one of them.

mikeythekidd
07-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Nothing a good coating of Gummi Pflege wouldn't fix.