PDA

View Full Version : Stereo guru's.....cd changer help please.

Michael C.
05-11-2004, 06:56 AM
Hi all, a new problem has just occured in the car (95 540i6),as i was listening to a cd in the changer,all of a sudden "DISK ERROR" showed-up and the changer stopped functioning....any clues???i unplugged the system for a few minutes to try and "re-boot" the system,all of the discs are in the magazin the correct way,they are clean,scratch-free,still no music.... :(
any other suggestions?.....
also,while on the subject, this car is by far the most $$$ car ( by the MSRP) i have ever owned,BUT, it has the WORST sound system i have had in any car....i like the head unit and it's functions,but the speakers are terrible,they bust-up at louder volumes,are barely audible w/ the windows open...they really need to be up-graded (maybe even the head-unit).
I think it is time to consider some of my speaker options....

Michael
95 540i6 M-Sport
88 ///M5....FOR SALE :(

Rick L
05-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Looks like you have a bad CD changer. DISC ERROR means that the changer is unable to read the disc. It could be a bad laser pickup, motor, etc… Your head unit is O.K. since your getting that message from the changer. You could try to clean the laser lens with aftermarket cleaner but I personally don’t think that stuff works. A friend brought his CD changer in for a repair with the same DISC ERROR and the repair shop wanted $135 or maybe more if special part needed. He purchased used changer from eBay for $145 instead.

Hi all, a new problem has just occured in the car (95 540i6),as i was listening to a cd in the changer,all of a sudden "DISK ERROR" showed-up and the changer stopped functioning....any clues???i unplugged the system for a few minutes to try and "re-boot" the system,all of the discs are in the magazin the correct way,they are clean,scratch-free,still no music.... :(
any other suggestions?.....
also,while on the subject, this car is by far the most $$$ car ( by the MSRP) i have ever owned,BUT, it has the WORST sound system i have had in any car....i like the head unit and it's functions,but the speakers are terrible,they bust-up at louder volumes,are barely audible w/ the windows open...they really need to be up-graded (maybe even the head-unit).
I think it is time to consider some of my speaker options....

Michael
95 540i6 M-Sport
88 ///M5....FOR SALE :(

Elekta
05-11-2004, 11:20 AM
I know there's a guy who advertises in Roundel who repairs BMW/Alpine/Pioneer changers...might have to look him up. Maybe in the archives?

My upgrades for my stereo are here: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=2759

I am very satisfied with this setup...all bass tones to the sub - leaving crystal clarity (accepting the limitations for the head unit) for 8 speakers (4 tweets - 4 mids)

The Eq makes up for what the stock head unit can't pull, and it has the aux input for ipod and/or XM.

shragon
05-11-2004, 07:05 PM
the magazine is stuck/misaligned. if your sure all the discs are in the magazine, you can use a small screw driver to pry it out.

happened a lot on my car. finally, the ejection mechanism broke, and the changer was toast. took the changer out and threw it in the trash. upgraded to a pioneer cd head unit. improved the sound of the speakers a little. i'm also running a sub, which helps a lot.

rickm
05-11-2004, 07:09 PM
I had a problem where I ejected the changer, swapped CDs then reinserted the cartridge only to find I a "disk error". Lovely. After shopping around for replacement units I decided on a unit. Went home, ejected the cart, removed the CDs. Put it back in...and the message was gone. Ran through the CDs and it played -apparently one of them didn't discharge and the player didn't like that.

Michael C.
05-12-2004, 05:52 AM
Thanx guys...i've tried removing and replacing....that did no good......i will try to take to "expert" soon.
don't really want to swap-out changers....but i will if that will take to hear some cd tunes again...
OR,MIGHT SCRAPE THE WHOLE SYSTEM and go to XM head unit w/ single drawer cd player and maybe some mid $ speakers.....
Thanx again for the advise
I will keep you posted...

Michael C.
95 540i6 ///M-Sport