PDA

View Full Version : well its back and running rough still :(

misfortune
07-16-2007, 12:12 AM
So I got my car back from the body shop. It looks pretty good. I'm happy with it. I'll post pics sometime. It looks pretty awesome, but the incessant rain make it impossible to wash. So back to the regular problems.

It'll run great when you first start off, then it will begin running worse and worse, until finally it'll start backfiring and idling poorly (actually it always idles badly) It never completely stalls out like it used to, but it doesn't run that well either. When I'm at a standstill, the oil light will flash and it'll stall out a bit, but never competely die.

I've swapped the ignition coil, afm, ECU, it has a new fuel pump (which made it stop stalling out completely), and I've had the plugs and TPS and CPS checked. At this point I have no idea what could be the issue. Since its still happening I'm thinking it has a lot to do with the fuel delivery or management , but I'm still not sure.

Oh also, when the AC is on, the problem happens more frequently.

markus
07-16-2007, 12:30 AM
check your battery and check the charging system.

misfortune
07-16-2007, 09:49 AM
check your battery and check the charging system.
can you go into any more specifics?

Battery is 1.5 year old. Cars been sitting for a while, so its still kinda weak.

Ferret
07-16-2007, 10:21 AM
can you go into any more specifics?

Battery is 1.5 year old. Cars been sitting for a while, so its still kinda weak.

If the battery is nearly dead, the car wont run properly - and as the batt fades away after you've started the car, the ECU will do unpredictable things.

Check your temperature sensors next - if it's failed and telling the car it's still cold, the engine wont run properly while warm.

However, just to be safe with this, I'd get a compression test run - if the engine's running badly in proportion to its temperature you might have a buggered HG...?

Jeff N.
07-16-2007, 11:20 PM
That will help hone in on the problem and stop guessing.

misfortune
07-17-2007, 09:26 AM
That will help hone in on the problem and stop guessing.

Stomp test doesn't work on 89 535i my friend.