PDA

View Full Version : Do faulty rear strut bearing make noises?

etcetera
07-15-2007, 04:28 PM
I failed to buy new rear upper strut bushings or bearings or whatever they're called, and now there's a rattling noise from the rear that wasn't there before the strut and spring swap. I've checked the usual suspects, spare, jack, brakes, strut bolts, etc. The old strut parts looked like they were in excellent condition.

The noise not dependent on throttle or clutch position, just uneven road surface will make the noise. Doesn't take much of an uneven surface either, just a slight dip or rise. Not even visible to the eye necessarily.

I'm ordering front sway bar links because I forgot those and those are noisy after swapping the front, but I disconnected them to try and isolate the rear noise. I think getting working struts and shocks stiffened everything up and allowed all the more subtle noises to become more apparent.

Here's what was changed
springs all around to eibach
struts all around sachs/boge
all the front end parts including all steering parts (but not the box), except sway bar links and sway bar.

I think I'll change the dog bones in the rear, definetely the front sway bar links and probably the upper strut bearing.

I used the shotgun approach the first time, but I should have went with a double barrel.