PDA

View Full Version : valvtrain compressor tool on 2.5 liter single cam head not necessary

bones
07-15-2007, 04:21 PM
i just did a valve job on my 525I and was faced with the challenge of compressing the valvetrain in order to remove the camshaft and disassemble the head.i spent about an hour trying to compress the rockers that were applying pressure to the cam and preventing me from removing it.it's a rediculous method and gives you very little room to manuever the cam out since the rockers and shafts are in your way,you will end up banging the cam journals when you extract the cam.heres how i did it,set cam at tdc #1.remove all rocker arm clips and loosen the excentrics to give you the most clearance possible.you will remove the exhaust rocker shaft first so slide all of the exhaust rockers that dont have pressure on them away from their approaching lobes.rotate the cam counterclockwise approx 35 degrees and all exhaust rockers will be loose.pull the rocker shaft out aft.now slide all intake rockers in your favor to avoid approaching lobes and rotate the cam again and all intake rockers will be free.pull the intake rocker shaft out aft and then remove the cam shaft with full access to support it on the way out.it goes back together in reverse order with cam installed first. bones