PDA

View Full Version : Rear pad question - In the middle of it now

BIGRED
07-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Hi All...

Been chasing a rattle. Pulled left rear and found that the pads seem to have some slop to them. No rear break BMW experience, but never saw anything like this before. I have always seen pads fit snug. It seems to have slop on the carrier and the caliper.

Don

Herb
07-15-2007, 03:11 PM
If it is the same problem my e36 had, the caliper has a "spring" that keeps it from rattling and it was missing. I'll look for a pic.

Herb
07-15-2007, 03:14 PM
# 7 in the diagram.

BIGRED
07-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Herb,

I have the spring... but the pad can rock up and down (direction of wheel rotation) almost and 1/8" As though the slot on the pad is to large.

Thanks
Don

Herb
07-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Don, I am at a loss, unless the supplier gave you the wrong pads?

BIGRED
07-15-2007, 06:23 PM
I was not in the process of changing pads, but tracking down a couple of rattles in the rear.

From what I can see and again I have no experience with BMW brakes...
The pads to fit properly would require the metal plate to be 2 different sizes to accommodate the difference between the caliper and carrier.

I will call a BMW parts house tomorrow and find out if all the pads come one size or if someone makes an inner and and outer.

Don

Ross
07-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Inner and outer are the same size.

BIGRED
07-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Ross your right....

I am going to do the rear brakes (Brembo rotors and Akebono Euro pads) and hope the the cross spring that inserts into the puck, along with the new anti-rattle spring solves the problem. If not ...there is always duck tape or silicone. (kidding)

Ferret
07-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Ross your right....

I am going to do the rear brakes (Brembo rotors and Akebono Euro pads) and hope the the cross spring that inserts into the puck, along with the new anti-rattle spring solves the problem. If not ...there is always duck tape or silicone. (kidding)

While you're at it, grease the brakes as well to muffle the squeaking :D

Ross
07-16-2007, 04:42 PM
That's funny. Sadly I once witnessed a "mechanic" at a dept. store auto shop put anti sqeal compound on the friction surface of brake pads. Didn't stick around for the outcome.

Ferret
07-16-2007, 05:06 PM
That's funny. Sadly I once witnessed a "mechanic" at a dept. store auto shop put anti sqeal compound on the friction surface of brake pads. Didn't stick around for the outcome.

Urgh.

Just Urgh.

Mechanic? Partially trained chimpanzee more like.

Karl
07-16-2007, 08:03 PM
There's a little clearance between the brake pads and caliper. When you're driving, friction between the pads and disk pushes the pads to the ends of the slot. That's OK. And if the anti-rattle spring is in place they should not rattle.

With your car up on jack stands, tap around with your rubber hammer and see what rattles. I'd guess it's not the brakes -- try the muffler and tailpipe.

BIGRED
07-17-2007, 09:19 AM
There's a little clearance between the brake pads and caliper. When you're driving, friction between the pads and disk pushes the pads to the ends of the slot. That's OK. And if the anti-rattle spring is in place they should not rattle.

With your car up on jack stands, tap around with your rubber hammer and see what rattles. I'd guess it's not the brakes -- try the muffler and tailpipe.

I replaced all exhaust hangers (which solved several of the rattles). I had the rear bumper assembly off and tapped and shook everything. Other than a rattle coming from the rear wheel, nothing has a rattle.

The pad that has the issue is the inside one (the one that snaps into the caliper. I can see almost 1/8" of play top to bottom so as the brakes are applied it would ride upwards a bit, be under friction hitting the casting and the rattle stops. Release the brakes and drops back (at least that is my theory)

The rattle can be controlled with the slightest brake pressure (comes and goes with the pedal being touched). As far as I can see the anti rattle spring would affect the outer pad, which fits more snugly in the first place.

Before this, I have never seen a car with pads that when placed onto the caliper or carrier would have the ability to rock around.

The answer will become more clear once the new parts arrive. Maybe I will shoot some pictures when I am working on it.

Thanks
Don

Ferret
07-17-2007, 10:14 AM
I replaced all exhaust hangers (which solved several of the rattles). I had the rear bumper assembly off and tapped and shook everything. Other than a rattle coming from the rear wheel, nothing has a rattle.

The pad that has the issue is the inside one (the one that snaps into the caliper. I can see almost 1/8" of play top to bottom so as the brakes are applied it would ride upwards a bit, be under friction hitting the casting and the rattle stops. Release the brakes and drops back (at least that is my theory)

The rattle can be controlled with the slightest brake pressure (comes and goes with the pedal being touched). As far as I can see the anti rattle spring would affect the outer pad, which fits more snugly in the first place.

Before this, I have never seen a car with pads that when placed onto the caliper or carrier would have the ability to rock around.

The answer will become more clear once the new parts arrive. Maybe I will shoot some pictures when I am working on it.

Thanks
Don

The inner pad should be clipped into the piston and hence shouldnt be moving at all...

BIGRED
07-17-2007, 09:55 PM
The inner pad should be clipped into the piston and hence shouldnt be moving at all...

Then I guess the clip isn't right or isn't strong enough to keep it in place. Being that this is my first time into the rear pads, I have no idea what quality or the lack there of were installed. Maybe they are junk parts.

New stuff arrives tomorrow, so I will know soon.

BIGRED
07-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Handled....no more rattles of any kind, anywhere except the coins in my ashtray. (removed those too).

I know I got rid of the exhaust rattles and how, but not sure what was the fix for the brake rattle. My guess is that the clip that snaps into the puck on the caliper side wouldn't stabilize the pad and or the new anti-rattle spring had something to do with it. Looking at the spring, for the life of me I don't see how it can impact rattles as it doesn't tweak the pad, touch the pad....ooooooo well just glad the nosies are history.

Thanks for the help.