PDA

View Full Version : Replacing A/C Condenser

mikeythekidd
07-15-2007, 08:06 AM
My a/c stopped blowing cold air so I took it to a local indy to get it tested for leaks. They said the condenser was leaking so bad they couldn't fill it. They gave me an estimate of over $800 to replace it! I ordered a condenser, drier, hose and o-rings from BMA. I have done a search and found the info. on this forum somewhat incomplete. Also, the Bently I have skips over the condenser. Any tips, links, write-ups would be greatly appreciated.:D

Scott C
07-15-2007, 04:38 PM
My a/c stopped blowing cold air so I took it to a local indy to get it tested for leaks. They said the condenser was leaking so bad they couldn't fill it. They gave me an estimate of over $800 to replace it! I ordered a condenser, drier, hose and o-rings from BMA. I have done a search and found the info. on this forum somewhat incomplete. Also, the Bently I have skips over the condenser. Any tips, links, write-ups would be greatly appreciated.:D

Not that terrible a job - you did good ordering through BMA, my first was not through BMA and I got stuck (too thick, other dimensions okay). I also had a broken aux fan (replaced it as well), you might want to check that. I did pull my radiator to get this swapped out if I remember correctly (and pulled the front bumper to get at aux fan), not a big deal. My condenser was leaking at every joint, it was real bad.

I used a cheapo vacuum pump that runs from a air compressor - I would suggest using a real motor driven vacuum pump if you can get one (borrow). I also replaced the expansion valve - don't recommend that unless you are into pain. I also put in a new compresser and rec/drier which you will likely want to put in as well. All in all, I spent about 900$ including tools (gauges, pump, etc) and everything is now new (I did not swap out evap or the lines).

Scott

edit - is your system R12 or R134?

euaniebabs
07-16-2007, 01:02 AM
Hi.

After changing my own, I wrote a procedure to do it. The guy that does my a/c refills was so impressed I did it myself he asked if I could tell him how to - he thought that you have to remove the whole radiator.

I sent a copy to bruno who eventually posted it on his site, see here:

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/ACsystem/Data/BMW%205%20Series%20Condenser%20Change.pdf

Best of luck!

Euan

mikeythekidd
07-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Hi.

After changing my own, I wrote a procedure to do it. The guy that does my a/c refills was so impressed I did it myself he asked if I could tell him how to - he thought that you have to remove the whole radiator.

I sent a copy to bruno who eventually posted it on his site, see here:

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/ACsystem/Data/BMW%205%20Series%20Condenser%20Change.pdf

Best of luck!

Euan
Thank you much! Great Write-up!