PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control problems

Rory535i
07-14-2007, 08:11 PM
I was driving down the highway last night and hit the cruise. after i had selected the right speed it slowly started climbing up and up. hit the brakes, kept climbing back up. i couldn't cancel it either on the stalk, it would only increase the car's speed.

managed to stop the car even though it was like i had the throttle planted. turned the car off and had a look under the hood thinking that the cable had jammed or something but it was totally slack. i started the car again (in neutral) and straight away the revs went shooting towards the redline. turned the car off and again, the cable was slack with the throttle closed completely. i ended up unplugging the cruise control and that allowed me to drive on safely.

is it a case of my cruise control being stuffed?

thanks for any help

genphreak
07-15-2007, 09:50 AM
is it a case of my cruise control being stuffed?
thanks for any help

Had this when I first got mine. CC wouldn't cancel. It turned out to be the brake light switch, it has a seperate circuit for cancelling CC. Get a new one. If you force the car to stop under brakes onse the torque converter has locked in 3rd or 4th it will damage the tranny.

Interesting though, you say cancel on the stalk didn't work.... I"m not sure that was the same for me... could have been tho. I also had to emergency stop. :) Nick

bsell
07-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Had this when I first got mine. CC wouldn't cancel. It turned out to be the brake light switch, it has a seperate circuit for cancelling CC. Get a new one. If you force the car to stop under brakes onse the torque converter has locked in 3rd or 4th it will damage the tranny.

Interesting though, you say cancel on the stalk didn't work.... I"m not sure that was the same for me... could have been tho. I also had to emergency stop. :) Nick

Is this a vacuum controlled system? If so, you could have a sticky vacuum control valve...

Brian

mikell
07-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Nope - it's entirely electric.
If neither the stalk or brake switch cancel cruise, could be the control unit, but that's only a guess.

pingu
07-16-2007, 06:10 AM
I posted (with pictures) some stuff a few months ago about how to repair the cruise control actuator - might help.