PDA

View Full Version : type of clear coat finishes? (spray can)

Russell
07-12-2007, 08:48 PM
What brand & type of clear coat finish (spray can) should I use on small parts? Lacquer, enamel or what? Not even sure if there are real choices in spray can finishes.

I need to match the appearance of factory BMW oxford green paint which is two step. I already have the base coat. TIA

Podmore
07-12-2007, 09:37 PM
You will only be able to get acrylic lacquer (solvent based) paint in an off-the-shelf spray can. The best and most durable finish is 2-pak but as the isocyanate hardeners used are highly toxic it should only be used by a professional (or a competent amateur with the right equipment). If you have access to a small compressor I recommend you spend the money to buy an HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) spray gun do do this sort of work. You just don't get enough control with a pressure pack with a fixed aperture spray nozzle to get an even flow, and unless you're painting edge-to-edge you will have trouble losing the edge of the blend zone.

Scott C
07-12-2007, 09:56 PM
What brand & type of clear coat finish (spray can) should I use on small parts? Lacquer, enamel or what? Not even sure if there are real choices in spray can finishes.

I need to match the appearance of factory BMW oxford green paint which is two step. I already have the base coat. TIA

There are LVLP guns (really don't need more than a 3 hp compressor for this) which will work fine - but as noted, the poly clear coat can seriously impact your health (and others around you), it lingers in vapor quite some time.

stargazer_61
07-13-2007, 04:29 AM
As far as clear coats available in a spray can, I went with Wurth. It's not cheap, but covers well and they use a different type of spray nozzle. Caveats are that you need to be careful of temperature and humidity, and give it something like a week to properly cure. Perhaps that's true with the pro stuff as well, I don't know.