PDA

View Full Version : Wobbly Fan/Water pump pulley??

Fetch
07-12-2007, 05:22 PM
During car idle I noticed a slight randomly occurring knock type noise. Sounded like it was coming from the very front of the engine bay.

With the engine turned off I found that by wiggling the viscous coupling fan by any fin, forwards and backwards (not as in turning the fin), I could make the knock noise, the whole fan & pulley part would wobble, looking like it was pivoting on the shaft.

Does something need to be tightned, or is a bearing wearing out, or does the water pump need to be replaced?

My Aux fan does not function, think the therefore increased usage and strain of the viscous fan contributed to this?

Please advise guys!!

califblue
07-12-2007, 05:39 PM
I personally would replace them both and thermostate ( cheap insurance) before either one fails and you warp your head

Tiger
07-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Water pump is bad... change it right away.

Fetch
07-12-2007, 06:04 PM
What's the preferred water pump brand? & Best place to buy from in Bimmer.Info's opinion?

Dealer: $140 after gaskets, I'm guessing from realoem, I'll have to call tomorrow.
BMA has: GRAF, HEPU, and MEYLE all about $133.

Which one & from where!?

I'll for sure be getting a new stock thermostat, new two radiator hoses, and new belt with this purchase.

Tiger
07-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Autohausaz.com has Graf/Laso for $103... I have the Laso for 5 years now... Don't forget the thermostat housing... that will go soon too. Two belts on yours. Don't forget the orings... search them by part number as listed.

Fetch
07-12-2007, 11:30 PM
I couldn't find out, what is the correct temp thermostat for the M60??

Autohausaz is saying 85c, and realoem says 95c, for same part number.

Ross
07-13-2007, 08:06 AM
85c was the original spec. BMW tried increasing operating temps in an effort to diminish the nikasil issue.
Moot point if the part # is the same, is what it is then.

Fetch
07-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Ok guys, I finished installing the new water pump, thermostat, upper & lower hoses, a/c belt, (main belt will be installed when I get it tomorrow).

With this lower temp thermostat (85 deg c?) the car seems to run at one needle width below center.

With the 95 deg c thermostat I used to have, it would run one hair above center.

Is this lower temp ok ?

Fetch
07-15-2007, 09:18 AM
bump

Macv
07-15-2007, 09:25 AM
The 85 deg c thermo is new I'm guessing? The lower temp shouldn't be a problem.

bsell
07-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Ok guys, I finished installing the new water pump, thermostat, upper & lower hoses, a/c belt, (main belt will be installed when I get it tomorrow).

With this lower temp thermostat (85 deg c?) the car seems to run at one needle width below center.

With the 95 deg c thermostat I used to have, it would run one hair above center.

Is this lower temp ok ?

How did the fan look? I ask as we had a car take out a couple water pumps in a row due to an unbalanced fan. Add in reading about somebody's fan disintigrating I get to wondering if you have a fan/clutch assembly that is out of balance due to age.

If this is true, your new pump could be at risk for wearing out the bearing again.

Brian