PDA

View Full Version : aux fan dead, is there replacement besides stock?

Specter325
05-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Folks
The aux fan on my 93 525 Touring is dead and in stop and go traffic wit the AC on she is heating up a bit. Is there anyone who has succesfully used a cheaper aftermarket fan instead of the $300 dollar stock fan? TIA

Ryan Brenneman
93 525iT A little hot under the collar
92 325i mostly track car

Unregistered
05-10-2004, 11:02 PM
two fuses one for low and one for high. the ac in my car would get hot in traffic but cold on the highway. the problem was the low speed fuse. also someone had posted a fix on the inside of the fan. the glue comes off all you have to do is glue it back. check these things before you spend the money. also check connection. maybe connect straight power to see if it moves might be a bad switch. let us know what happens with the results.

Specter325
05-11-2004, 06:45 PM
two fuses one for low and one for high. the ac in my car would get hot in traffic but cold on the highway. the problem was the low speed fuse. also someone had posted a fix on the inside of the fan. the glue comes off all you have to do is glue it back. check these things before you spend the money. also check connection. maybe connect straight power to see if it moves might be a bad switch. let us know what happens with the results.

Rigmaster
05-11-2004, 09:35 PM
Ryan, I've got a good used one for $140 delivered.

Thanks, Bret.

winfred
05-12-2004, 08:43 AM
it's usually the resister killing the low speed and the fuse does not like it when the fan starts off in high and blows

Hector
05-12-2004, 09:31 AM
I believe there are 2 temp sensors (I think) connected to the side of the radiator. A low temp limit and a high temp limit for the aux fan. You might want to check those as well. At least, this is the case for the m30.

Hector
05-12-2004, 09:52 AM
It's actually one sensor or switch with 2 aux fan speed settings. Check if faulty.

I believe there are 2 temp sensors (I think) connected to the side of the radiator. A low temp limit and a high temp limit for the aux fan. You might want to check those as well. At least, this is the case for the m30.

gale
05-12-2004, 12:53 PM
It's quite common for the ballast resistor to blow, ~$27. check this link for troubleshooting it before replacing the fan:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_20.htm

If the fan is totally locked up, sometimes it's due to the magnets coming loose and in that case, the motor can be opened up (Dremmel tool) and the magnets epoxied back in place (be sure to note polarity of the magnets).

There are aftermarket direct replacement brand new complete fan assemblies available for about $190 & there is a vendor in Atlanta on e-bay who always has them with "Buy it Now" for a similar price. I've bought from them before & had good service.

Another source is Car Parts Wholesale:

http://www.carpartswholesale.com

part no. 64541392913