PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Smell

Yancy e34 535
05-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Hello

I own a 1990 535i. When I have the sunroof open I get a very distinct smell of fuel especially when I am over 1/2 a tank. You can smell the fuel around the right rear wheel but there are no signs of fuel leaking from anywhere!

If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

Thanks

Karl
05-10-2004, 10:19 PM
My old e12 smelled like that till I replaced fuel line between the tank and pump.

Hector
05-11-2004, 08:53 AM
also check the joint between the tank and the gas filling neck to see if there are any tiny holes. The fact that you are smelling gas after more than half tank full might indicate fuel has a better chance of making it to the joint upon car movement. You might wanna check the charcoal cannister connections while you are at it. Also, check that the this filter is working properly and that it is filtering out gas vapors. Unfortunately, don't have a Bently handy but perhaps someone here can help.

Ken from Guam
05-11-2004, 09:49 AM
i have the same prob. changed the fuel hose,filter,pump and it went away(gas smell) for about 6 months now it's back but not as bad as before i changed those items i mentioned. i dunno but i got used to it already but im sure theres a small leak coz evyrtime i wash the car i can see gas mixing with water on the ground. you know how u can see like a rainbow color mixed with water pathways on the ground indicating there's gas leak or somethin. will tackle this issue once i get the chance and the knowlegde where to look though.