PDA

View Full Version : OT Dont you hate these scamps for internal bidding

Turbo Ready
07-11-2007, 12:44 PM
I called this guy about this brake booster which started at $ 10 He then edited his price to $ 33.00 then kept bumping it up by himself, just look at the bidding history. The same bidder bid twice in seconds.

Is this not fraud technically. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110146104756&rd=1&rd=1

whiskychaser
07-11-2007, 12:56 PM
I called this guy about this brake booster which started at $ 10 He then edited his price to $ 33.00 then kept bumping it up by himself, just look at the bidding history. The same bidder bid twice in seconds.

Is this not fraud technically
You lost me as the seller and bidders seem to have different names :) Ebay has just changed in the UK - you dont even get the bidder's ID any more - it just says bidder no.1 or bidder no.2 etc. At least you can see who you are up against!

Turbo Ready
07-11-2007, 01:00 PM
I know it's a different name from the seller, but he would be smart enough to have a few accounts under different names. If you look at the bidding history, you will see two bids by the same person within a few seconds of each other outbidding himself.
Why would one bidder, bid three times raising the bids from $ 33 to $ 93 with no competition in between. Why would you over bid yourself?

What the UK did there made it ever easier for "internal" bidding.

repenttokyo
07-11-2007, 01:04 PM
2 bids by the same person in a row just means someone else made a bid that was lower than the initial bidder's highest bid.

you can remove the identity of any bidder from an auction on ebay, it's called a private auction, and it's not all that uncommon.

whiskychaser
07-11-2007, 01:09 PM
2 bids by the same person in a row just means someone else made a bid that was lower than the initial bidder's highest bid.

you can remove the identity of any bidder from an auction on ebay, it's called a private auction, and it's not all that uncommon.

Ebay in UK does is as a matter of course so you havent a clue if its a bona fide bid or somebody trying to up the stakes. Now thats its explained in simple words I understand where Turbo was coming from. Looks suss to me too. If you can, walk and leave the fkrs with it:)

Turbo Ready
07-11-2007, 01:09 PM

The opening bid was $ 10, the minute I emailed him about shipping it was changed to $ 33 then the same bidder pumped it up twice after to $ 93 with no one else competing with him, that in my opinion is internal bidding raising the stakes.

GoldenOne
07-11-2007, 01:11 PM
I know it's a different name from the seller, but he would be smart enough to have a few accounts under different names. If you look at the bidding history, you will see two bids by the same person within a few seconds of each other outbidding himself.
Why would one bidder, bid three times raising the bids from $ 33 to $ 93 with no competition in between. Why would you over bid yourself?

What the UK did there made it ever easier for "internal" bidding.

yeah, that guy could have a "max bid" of like $100 and if I bid 70, he automatically wins with $71 so it shows that its his bid. But I do look out for that, I hate it when people pull scams to increase their auctions...

Turbo Ready
07-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Ebay in UK does is as a matter of course so you havent a clue if its a bona fide bid or somebody trying to up the stakes. Now thats its explained in simple words I understand where Turbo was coming from. Looks suss to me too. If you can, walk and leave the fkrs with it:)

Hell no, I am not gonna give that scamp my money. If he said to me pay me $ 100 for it I would, but by bidding for it this way it's encouraging him to get away with such a practice. These scums have no principle.

For the first time in 7 years being an ebay member, I placed an e34 item up for bidding. I could have raised the stakes, showing activity on the item at the same time, but I believe in honesty and principle.

repenttokyo
07-11-2007, 01:21 PM
The opening bid was $ 10, the minute I emailed him about shipping it was changed to $ 33 then the same bidder pumped it up twice after to $ 93 with no one else competing with him, that in my opinion is internal bidding raising the stakes.

Use ebay's complaint process, which works fairly well, and move on to another seller.

Turbo Ready
07-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Use ebay's complaint process, which works fairly well, and move on to another seller.

Was thinking of reporting him, I hate doing stuff like that though.

repenttokyo
07-11-2007, 01:29 PM
if you don't do it, he will just do it to somebody else. :(

JD525IA
07-11-2007, 01:41 PM
when two or more people do proxy bidding, it shows a bunch of sequential bids that look like the same person bid many times in a row.

In reality, the system is quickly bidding and only shows who won the battle, with the losers name repeated on the many lines.

JD

Turbo Ready
07-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Just reported him, ebay calls it shill bidding. Just a heads up for you guys to look out for this in the future, i am sure people don't do a bid history check before bidding.

Will let you guys know the outcome.

Turbo Ready
07-11-2007, 01:47 PM
when two or more people do proxy bidding, it shows a bunch of sequential bids that look like the same person bid many times in a row.

In reality, the system is quickly bidding and only shows who won the battle, with the losers name repeated on the many lines.

JD

Agreed, but it will also show the other bids in between the proxy bids, not just one bidder.

1. The bidding history has the SAME bidder bidding three times without no competition.

2. Two of those bids jumped from $77 to $93 within a few seconds with no one else bidding between those two bids

3. There are only two bidders, one of which bid 3 times in succession and the other after. Just follow the link and look at the bidding history.
It,s 100% fraud.

4. Bidding has not ended as yet, there is still 6 hrs to go.

repenttokyo
07-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Agreed, but it will also show the other bids in between the proxy bids, not just one bidder.

1. The bidding history has the SAME bidder bidding three times without no competition.

2. Two of those bids jumped from $77 to $93 within a few seconds with no one else bidding between those two bids

3. There are only two bidders, one of which bid 3 times in succession and the other after. Just follow the link and look at the bidding history.
It,s 100% fraud.

4. Bidding has not ended as yet, there is still 6 hrs to go.

It's not possible for 1 bidder to bid 3 times in a row with no competition. Even if you revise you max bid after bidding once, it doesn't add another bid to the auction. The only way someone can bid 3 times in a row is for someone to bid against them, but below their proxy bid. This can happen many times until the second bidder surpasses the original proxy bid. Only then will the second bidder's ID be shown.

This is why you see 2 bidders and 4 bids. And it's why the second person's bid shows up last - he surpassed the first bidder's proxy bid.

Turbo Ready
07-11-2007, 02:08 PM
It's not possible for 1 bidder to bid 3 times in a row with no competition. Even if you revise you max bid after bidding once, it doesn't add another bid to the auction. The only way someone can bid 3 times in a row is for someone to bid against them, but below their proxy bid. This can happen many times until the second bidder surpasses the original proxy bid. Only then will the second bidder's ID be shown.

This is why you see 2 bidders and 4 bids. And it's why the second person's bid shows up last - he surpassed the first bidder's proxy bid.

So it might be legit. Guess it was coincidental that the proxy bid was done within a few seconds of each other.

Ross
07-11-2007, 02:39 PM
I looked and don't understand your beef. You didn't expect to buy this for $10 did you?

Montreal525
07-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Looks legit to me... Look at the dates :

Premier-motorsports bid on july 7 at 14:43:30. first bidder. if he put $100 on his bid, proxy bidding will up the ante for him as others bid BUT will place his first bid at $10...

July 8 19:04:21, Beerthomaz bids $33. Still not enough, proxy bidding puts premier-motosports over him at $34

July 10 21:13:43, Beerthomaz tries again at $77. Again, not enough... proxy bidding put premier-motorsport at $78

July 10 21:14:34, Beerthomaz is pissed and tries again at $93. STILL NOT ENOUGH.

You could bid a different amount every 30 seconds for an entire day and the result would still be the same, ie your ID name 100 times every 30 seconds with nobody in between if you're the only one bidding AND if you don't BEAT his bid...

Shill bidding is very hard to prove. If a friend of the sellers bids to get to price up, not much you can do about it. It usuall happens near the end of the auction and the guy started bidding three days ago, on july 8...

Best you can do is put down your max price and let the proxy bidding do the rest. That's what I do now...

Jeff

Turbo Ready
07-11-2007, 03:52 PM
I looked and don't understand your beef. You didn't expect to buy this for $10 did you?

Hell no, I am not gonna give that scamp my money. If he said to me pay me $ 100 for it I would, but by bidding for it this way it's encouraging him to get away with such a practice. These scums have no principle.

No, I wrote the above in a previous post, if he was shill bidding.

Turbo Ready
07-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Looks legit to me... Look at the dates :

Premier-motorsports bid on july 7 at 14:43:30. first bidder. if he put $100 on his bid, proxy bidding will up the ante for him as others bid BUT will place his first bid at $10...

July 8 19:04:21, Beerthomaz bids $33. Still not enough, proxy bidding puts premier-motosports over him at $34

July 10 21:13:43, Beerthomaz tries again at $77. Again, not enough... proxy bidding put premier-motorsport at $78

July 10 21:14:34, Beerthomaz is pissed and tries again at $93. STILL NOT ENOUGH.

You could bid a different amount every 30 seconds for an entire day and the result would still be the same, ie your ID name 100 times every 30 seconds with nobody in between if you're the only one bidding AND if you don't BEAT his bid...

Shill bidding is very hard to prove. If a friend of the sellers bids to get to price up, not much you can do about it. It usuall happens near the end of the auction and the guy started bidding three days ago, on july 8...

Best you can do is put down your max price and let the proxy bidding do the rest. That's what I do now...

Jeff

Thanks for the info, it's very deceiving how the bids are listed on ebay.

attack eagle
07-11-2007, 09:01 PM
if it is "sold" and then shows up again a week or two later, then you KNOW it was shill bidding.

But that is just proxy bidding.