PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Transplantability

SnakeyesTx
07-10-2007, 11:31 AM
I was rummaging through the local bone yard last weekend when I came upon a mid-90's 740iL (which is an extreme rarity in a place like Pick-a-Part which is known for mountains of crap and diamonds in the rough). I managed to meander my way into the car and it had this really nice burlwood shifter, kinda shaped a bit like a lightbulb with the button where your three middle fingers could unlock it (I may be mistaken on the button placement, it might have been on the left side, I checked out several shifters).

I know on the E34 it has a set screw above the shaft into the stock shifter and the button facing down, but could I simply transplant the newer shifter on since its basically a lock rod? I'd imagine they wouldn't bother redesigning something that basic, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has done it before.

The reason I'm looking into this is because lately I've been seeing this really odd red fluff all over the shifter console, and it looks like its coming from the gaps between the handle and the lock button and now the lock is stuck pushed in. Not necessarily a big deal but the finish on the shifter is pretty shot too so I figured I'd change it out.

bmwrp8
07-10-2007, 10:11 PM
I was rummaging through the local bone yard last weekend when I came upon a mid-90's 740iL (which is an extreme rarity in a place like Pick-a-Part which is known for mountains of crap and diamonds in the rough). I managed to meander my way into the car and it had this really nice burlwood shifter, kinda shaped a bit like a lightbulb with the button where your three middle fingers could unlock it (I may be mistaken on the button placement, it might have been on the left side, I checked out several shifters).

I know on the E34 it has a set screw above the shaft into the stock shifter and the button facing down, but could I simply transplant the newer shifter on since its basically a lock rod? I'd imagine they wouldn't bother redesigning something that basic, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has done it before.

The reason I'm looking into this is because lately I've been seeing this really odd red fluff all over the shifter console, and it looks like its coming from the gaps between the handle and the lock button and now the lock is stuck pushed in. Not necessarily a big deal but the finish on the shifter is pretty shot too so I figured I'd change it out.

this might help...http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=32566&highlight=shifter