PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel / tyre rubbing on something, no sure what, any ideas?

leicesterboy15
07-09-2007, 05:45 AM
I fitted some new wheels to my car yesterday (540iT) and heard something rubbing from the left rear, I have visually inspected it but can't see anything, it doesn't seem to change tempo when I press the brakes or go over bumps. I thought it might be the exhaust because its a custom stainless one but theres at least a 1cm gap, could it move about that much when driving? The only other thing I can think of is possibly a suspension component ( I can't quite see the clearance at the top of the strut but when I feel it, it seems ok) or something to do with the brakes. The rub is constant, never goes away, never gets worse and relative to speed.

I had a set of wheels where the left rear was ripped to shreds on the inside of the tyre, I thought it was a bad tyre. So I replaced all the wheels with a new set (Style 5s), yesterday I bought a set of MPars and fitted those (Same size all round) and can hear them rubbing. When I thought about I realised that the original tyre must have had the same problem and failed because of this, it may just have been quieter. I checked the tyre on the Style 5 wheel and this is also showing signs of rubbing so I am thinking that they all rubbed but these wheels rub louder so it doesn't seem wheel specific.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be or what to check because I am really stumped

Ferret
07-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Whereabouts is it rubbing on the old tyre? Side wall/edge/tread? Photo would be nice here?

leicesterboy15
07-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Its rubbing on the inside side wall towards the edge with the tread (opposite edge to where it meets the wheel.) by the looks of it, I will try and get a pic of the tyre tonight

attack eagle
07-09-2007, 09:27 AM
what tire size? I'm running 245/40/18 as low or lower than you and no rubbing

Tiger
07-09-2007, 10:11 AM
I would check the strut to see if there is some paint rubbing... Maybe it is your wheel bearing shot.. try to rock it while in the air to see if you have any play... should be zero.

attack eagle
07-09-2007, 10:20 AM
thats a damn good idea.

jack it up and take the wheel off. it is rubbing bad enough to damage the tire there is going to be ONE very clean spot under there somewhere with no roadgrime and possibly no paint.

leicesterboy15
07-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Will check the tyre size tonight, thanks for the info, by the way is a 2 tonne trolley jack enough for a 540? I am guessing an e34 touring is between 1600 - 1800 kgs? Its within the limit but just didn't seem as solid as I would have liked or am I just being over-cautious (I get very nervous jacking up cars - I'd rather work on the engine).

Tiger
07-09-2007, 10:48 AM
You are not lifting up the entire car so it is enough. However, the trolley jack is NOT the safest jack... Use jack stand along with it. Set parking brake on before jacking up the car and only jack up on level paved ground.

Ferret
07-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Will check the tyre size tonight, thanks for the info, by the way is a 2 tonne trolley jack enough for a 540? I am guessing an e34 touring is between 1600 - 1800 kgs? Its within the limit but just didn't seem as solid as I would have liked or am I just being over-cautious (I get very nervous jacking up cars - I'd rather work on the engine).

2t jack is barely adequate, I'd use a 3 tonne, reasonably priced from screwfix..

attack eagle
07-09-2007, 11:00 AM
I've lifted my touring (4000lbs) by the diff with a 2 ton. Anything is safer than the widowmaker jack bmw supplied.

encourage you to use jackstands though I really do.

Hell for what you have to do the oem jack will work.

leicesterboy15
07-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Whats the best place for Jack stands? I bought a set last week but have yet to use them (got them for fuel line replacement and usual front end work). Any pics of best places on the front and back?

I think I will get a bigger jack, whats a few quid for peace of mind and keeping your torso in one peice?!! And as a wise man once said a good trolley jack is a lifetime purchase...

leicesterboy15
07-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Anything is safer than the widowmaker jack bmw supplied

Not wrong there!!

leicesterboy15
07-09-2007, 11:18 AM
the trolley jack is NOT the safest jack...

Which is best then? I thought the trolley jack was....

Ferret
07-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Which is best then? I thought the trolley jack was....

A garage four point hoist I should imagine... but we're not all americans with sprawling ranches and a spare building to put it in :p

I would have thought that a sturdy trolley jack was the safest thing to lift it with, bar garage standard equipment. o.O *headscratch*

Tiger
07-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Any wide shop jack is safer... You can try to get aluminum 2 ton shop jack if you don't have a garage... at least it is light and wide for stability. Otherwise, any steel 3 ton jack is adequate.

For the placement of your jack stand, I would put it right under the control arm as close to brake as possible... let it rest on it partially.

The trolley jack I thought you have is that skinny small one.

leicesterboy15
07-09-2007, 04:52 PM
This is the one I have at the moment so yes pretty skinny! Got the pics, will load them up tomorrow.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220129078173&rd=1&rd=1

Tiger
07-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Confirmed my suspicion. I would never use that type.

leicesterboy15
07-10-2007, 05:57 AM
This is the clearance between the exhaust and the tyre with the engine off:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/brighterbuys/My%20Stuff/IMG_2923.jpg

The following are the strut and the exhaust with the wheel off, the dark bit on the exhaust is actually polised silver so i guess this is where its rubbing, they have already tried to fit around the tyre but it looks like it needs more persuasion (with a mallet!). I am surprised that the exhaust moves about that much when the engine is on and the car is moving.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/brighterbuys/My%20Stuff/IMG_2928.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/brighterbuys/My%20Stuff/IMG_2930.jpg

Ferret
07-10-2007, 06:34 AM
This is the clearance between the exhaust and the tyre with the engine off:

The following are the strut and the exhaust with the wheel off, the dark bit on the exhaust is actually polised silver so i guess this is where its rubbing, they have already tried to fit around the tyre but it looks like it needs more persuasion (with a mallet!). I am surprised that the exhaust moves about that much when the engine is on and the car is moving.

I take it that's a custom SS exhaust?

Try adjusting the hangers to see if you can pull it out of the way.

Btw I forgot to ask, are you actually selling the 535i? *Might be interested*

leicesterboy15
07-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Thats a good point, thanks I will try that, I was going to 're-mold' it out of the way but if it works that sounds like a better idea.

Unfortunately not selling my 535i I'm afraid, theres nothing out there for the money that can compare, I would have to go down the celica or 200sx route which probably go well but those interiors are just not for me!

Thanks for the interest though, and the help! The 535 has 60k more and is 9 years older than the 540i but is proving more reliable and less of a headache at the moment, but I suppose I am catching up on someone elses lack of maintenance on the 540 which I did years ago on the 535.

Ferret
07-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Thats a good point, thanks I will try that, I was going to 're-mold' it out of the way but if it works that sounds like a better idea.

Unfortunately not selling my 535i I'm afraid, theres nothing out there for the money that can compare, I would have to go down the celica or 200sx route which probably go well but those interiors are just not for me!

Thanks for the interest though, and the help! The 535 has 60k more and is 9 years older than the 540i but is proving more reliable and less of a headache at the moment, but I suppose I am catching up on someone elses lack of maintenance on the 540 which I did years ago on the 535.

Ha, damnit! :p

Yeah the 535i will probably always prove to be more reliable than a v8 - when you actually sit down and look at the vehicles systems they're incredibly simple when put alongside the later v8's The closed loop mixture system's about as simple as they get.

Tiger
07-10-2007, 08:52 AM
It looked like a non-stock exhaust system. You really need to have them modify it again... Probably going to be a cut, shorten, sleeve and reweld at the point where they could get the bend away from the tire.

Exhaust actually do move quite a lot... almost like 1.5" movement total.