PDA

View Full Version : using blackout tape for shadowline

markus
07-08-2007, 05:21 PM
i think the next mod i will do to my 540i is shadowline. Im thinking about using some blackout tape because its cheap and easy to get. Can anyone give me some tips on how to make it look good? I tried it on my E30 when I had it and the results I got were less than optimal. I had it overlapping, and it was just a mess. Id like to make it look a little better this time.

filip00
07-08-2007, 05:33 PM
i don't know man, i just spray painted mine.

i used sandpaper, 400 i 800 grit to take some of the "chrome" off, and then primer and spray.

first i took some newspaper and tape and i sealed the roof, windows, and everything else except the chrome trim.

i then sandpapered everything and cleaned it.

primer for metal in spray can, sprayed the whole thing.

matte black color, in spray, used two coatings, sprayed it, and after a couple of months, still looks like new.

kev535i
07-08-2007, 06:05 PM
ive done the tape on my car and am happy with results, my tips are - do it on a warm sunny day and lay the tape out to warm it up, make sure chrome is super clean , i used metholated spirits, before applying get a spray bottle with water and a couple o drops of detergent and give the chrome a light mist, this helps you to "move " it in case of mistakes, i did mine as one piece so no overlaps, the only overlap is rear door curve but this is hidden when door shut, i found a laminated card helpful to get into difficult areas and push tape down- take you time