PDA

View Full Version : First E34

skidmark
07-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Hi,

I have been lurking since purchasing a 1990 535i. I have just got my permissions, so now I get to post! The car is Silver, 5 speed, LSD, and the best thing is, I bought it from the original owner with only 60K on the Odo. It's always lived outside (colorado) so the paint is a little faded. The seats need conditioned and re-sewn here and there. Has a bad pan gasket, and an oil leak on the front of the motor. I hope it's the sensor bolts are loose. I know the pan will be a pain, but I have help.

Now on to the nagging problem. The car has had a 1221 code since I bought it. After all the searching on a lot of the 1221 posts here, I was hoping to have it fixed by now. I have replaced O2 sensor, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, airfilter, and all dry cracked vacuum hoses (i think).

The car starts fine but starts loading up (and showing check engine light) after sitting at idle a minute or so. If you blip the throttle the light goes out. If you slowly increase revs the light stays lit. The car seems to be missing but runs good once you get the revs up a bit.

I guess my next thing to try are the coolant sensor and the other sensor next to it ( name slips my mind right now. )

Anyone have any other ideas?

thanks ,

skidmark

ThoreauHD
07-08-2007, 02:42 PM
I think you should get the codes read by a BMW independent mechanic. The check engine light without codes wouldn't sit well with me. I'm sure it's something as simple as a vacuum leak(gaskets), but without knowing what it is, it's hard to pinpoint. Congratulations on your new used car.

skidmark
07-08-2007, 06:59 PM
The stomp test flashes the 1221 code only. Searching the 1221 posts, I found people have had various fixes. I was hoping to fix it with the O2 sensor, new vacuum lines, plugs etc...

mattyb
07-08-2007, 08:08 PM
welcome officially at last !!! Pics???

skidmark
07-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Pics are on the way

skidmark
07-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Here is a pic after it's first bath in a while.

skidmark
07-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Trying a bigger one

632 Regal
07-08-2007, 11:55 PM
looks fresh, drop the lowering springs in and add a tint then you will transform a 4000 car into a 6000 one. The codes like that refer to metering air that the ECU cant compensate for such as intake gasket leaks or leaky injectors. five0motorsports have good prices on injectores and you could also try new coilpacks/leads and plugs...dont remember exactly what you replaced so far. Congrats on a fine looking example of BMW.

skidmark
07-09-2007, 11:29 AM
I do not think it's the injectors. Plugs were white when I changed them. Funny thing is that it was showing 1221 when I first got it. After changing all of the above mentioned items, I cleared the codes today. The car now shows a 1222.(with basically the same symptoms as before) I did notice a crack in the oil filler cap.(can that cause a 1222?) I think I will check the crank sensor to make sure the gap is right.