PDA

View Full Version : Info cluster next to stereo went dead...

vuyodaddy
07-07-2007, 10:58 AM
So the other day, I turn on my car, and the display to the right of my stereo (you know, the one that tells you the time, temperature, your mpg, etc.) went blank. At first I thought it was glare from the sun, but lo and behold, it was out. Anyone with similar problems know what to do? Thanks in advance.

Macv
07-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Haha, this sucks... mine just went out as well today.

It could possibly be that all of the lights in the OBC blew, but I doubt thats what happened in my case (and possibly yours.)

Ross
07-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Look closely at it to see if the display is still changing, I'll bet it's only the bulb.
It's an LCD that is backlit, without the illumination from behind it looks dead.

vuyodaddy
07-07-2007, 03:24 PM
I'll go look at it in a lil bit, and I know what you mean, but I'm thinking this isn't the case as nothing shows up at all. I would assume you wouldn't be able to see it at all though since the screen is black, regardless if the LCD was still working.

This just isnt something I want to take to the dealership though. Hopefully its the light...

Haha, this sucks... mine just went out as well today.

Funny how two people have the same stupid problem at the same time :p .

Ross
07-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Shine a light at it , you might see it still working.

vuyodaddy
07-07-2007, 05:03 PM
You were right... it still works. Now to research bmwe34.net ... anyone know about replacing lights in these clusters? Perhaps I should make it shine pink or something...

vuyodaddy
07-07-2007, 05:08 PM
It was the OBC lights blown in my case... hopefully the same with you Macv. Thanks for the help Ross! I shoulda went to bmwe34.net to begin with.

linky: http://bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/panel_lights.htm

Ross
07-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Wadaya mean should have gone to bmwe34.net? You got your answer here.

vuyodaddy
07-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Wadaya mean should have gone to bmwe34.net? You got your answer here.

Haha no offense! Just that, on most other forums, you would typically get flamed for the question I just asked when the info was that easily. I tend to forget the people are different here compared to the ricer guys. Your help is greatly appreciatted, thanks!