PDA

View Full Version : Removing Swirl Marks

gjmane36
07-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I am looking for something that would work on removing swirl marks. I wash, clay bar, 3m fine cut, and Meguiar's cleaner wax. I was not able to use my buffer because of a bad pad. Any suggestions?

Rick L
07-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Liquid Glass works great for shine but leaves little bit of swirl marks. I tried several others including Meguiar's High Tech stuff but found Zymol to work well. I've been using Zymol wax and it pretty much eliminates the swirl marks!

I am looking for something that would work on removing swirl marks. I wash, clay bar, 3m fine cut, and Meguiar's cleaner wax. I was not able to use my buffer because of a bad pad. Any suggestions?

gjmane36
07-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks. I try the Zymol.

gjmane36
07-09-2007, 08:49 PM
I gave it a shot over the weekend. The result was fabulous! I could tell from the first application the difference in the finish. It was easy to put on, and easy to take off. I could see exactly where I had applied the wax. Oh what a difference. I am sold on it! THANK YOU!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE THE INFORMATION!

Rick L
07-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Glad to hear that it worked out for you! :)

I gave it a shot over the weekend. The result was fabulous! I could tell from the first application the difference in the finish. It was easy to put on, and easy to take off. I could see exactly where I had applied the wax. Oh what a difference. I am sold on it! THANK YOU!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE THE INFORMATION!

CharlesAFerg
07-09-2007, 10:19 PM
believe it or not, as a professional detailer I have gone through tons of waxes - one of the best bi-weekly maintinence/protection "utility" waxes is the Dupont teflon wax. yet, it's streaky and greasy looking on dark cars, so it wouldn't work for you. it's liquid carnaube, but god damn it's thick even after wiping it off - it must have fillers, teflon AND carnauba because it fills in clearcoat fade on my silver car completely.

It doesn't give the best shine in the world, but it lasts a while and fills in imperfections, absolutely wonderful for the daily driver, and easy to apply.

Just make sure to put it on by hand so you get a thicker coat, otherwise it's too thin with a machine and won't fill in as much.

MTV
07-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Liquid Glass works great for shine but leaves little bit of swirl marks. I tried several others including Meguiar's High Tech stuff but found Zymol to work well. I've been using Zymol wax and it pretty much eliminates the swirl marks!

Ditto on the Zymol. Had the same problem you had with swirl marks. After a wash, claybar and Zymol to top it off... the swirls are gone and the result is like night and day. :D

Russell
07-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Try Duragloss products. They have an excellent line. I use the bonding agent and TPP 105 synthetic polish and have very minimal swirl marks. Howeve, I am very careful when washing and I clay the car ocassionally. I need to clay the lower panels soon.

gjmane36
07-10-2007, 09:48 PM
I do have the Dupont was you mentioned. I wanted to use it after I was able to remove the swirls. Thanks for the information on using it on dark finishes. I will use the Zymol a few more time before the end of summer. The Dupont will be used for the fall and winter months. Hopefully it will last.

CharlesAFerg
07-10-2007, 10:32 PM
I do have the Dupont was you mentioned. I wanted to use it after I was able to remove the swirls. Thanks for the information on using it on dark finishes. I will use the Zymol a few more time before the end of summer. The Dupont will be used for the fall and winter months. Hopefully it will last.

Hey, no problem!
Yeah, it's a wonderful utility wax not only due to it's longevity, but it's ability to hide imperfections. Another one that's really good at that is P21s concours carnauba - it hides just as well if not better (It's more of a show-type wax) but doesn't quite last as long, and dust seems to be attracted to it.

I recommend the dupont.

Ross
07-11-2007, 03:23 PM
3-M Perfect-It II foam polishing glaze. With a foam(duh) pad. They have one for light and one for dark colors. 3-M's pro stuff is expensive and worth it.

Russell
07-11-2007, 04:15 PM
where to buy the Dupont Tefon product? I cannot find it at Advance, Autozone, Oreileys or Napa stores I have checked. TIA

Macv
07-11-2007, 05:21 PM
where to buy the Dupont Tefon product? I cannot find it at Advance, Autozone, Oreileys or Napa stores I have checked. TIA

Really?! The autozone here has a huge rack of it. I love the stuff. Did you ask if they carry it?

Russell
07-11-2007, 05:36 PM
checked two AZ stores. Did not ask. However, no Dupont products anywhere. Advance said they do not sell Dupont products. May be a regional thing.

CharlesAFerg
07-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Really?! The autozone here has a huge rack of it. I love the stuff. Did you ask if they carry it?

Silver cars love it, black and white cars dread it.

I prefer menzerna polishes, water-based and silicones or fillers. The only menzerna product with fillers is the glaze. Very, very good stuff.

gjmane36
07-11-2007, 08:32 PM
I got mine from Walmart. You can also try Meijer's if there is one around your area.

gjmane36
07-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Where did you purchase the foam glaze?

gjmane36
07-11-2007, 08:50 PM
I checked the bottle. There website is www.carcare.dupont.com. There distribution is http://www.carcare.dupont.com/wheretobuy/wheretobuy_default.stm
Hope this helps.

Russell
07-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Got it tonight at Walmart. Not impressed on my dark paint. It is not as slick or as glossy as Duragloss TPP 105. Did not notice any improvement pn light scratches on small tests on two cars (my BMW and wife's explorer). it was a bear to get off and appears to dust a bit. This was with florescent light. Will look at in sunlight tomorrow.

gjmane36
07-11-2007, 09:21 PM
If you go to the website, look under promotions. There is a promotion for the product, with a mail-in rebate for a free product!

CharlesAFerg
07-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Got it tonight at Walmart. Not impressed on my dark paint. It is not as slick or as glossy as Duragloss TPP 105. Did not notice any improvement pn light scratches on small tests on two cars (my BMW and wife's explorer). it was a bear to get off and appears to dust a bit. This was with florescent light. Will look at in sunlight tomorrow.

argh i warned you! :p

Russell
07-12-2007, 04:47 AM
So you did. :) I am hoping it will help my fading rear bumper. I have an area where the clear coat is breaking down. Will see how it looks today. No plans to use it elsewhere on the car.

Ross
07-12-2007, 07:25 AM
I bought it at a body shop supply but have since seen it at Murray's in pint bottles being closed out for 1/2 price.

Booster
07-12-2007, 09:35 AM
3-M Perfect-It II foam polishing glaze. With a foam(duh) pad. They have one for light and one for dark colors. 3-M's pro stuff is expensive and worth it.

I was a Pro detailer for 23 years and occasionally still teach classes in it. I still find that most car detail enthusiasts simply don't get the STAGES of paint correction right.Swirling/spiderwebbing in the final reflection or direct light is always the end result of remaining cut marks from the previous abrasion...IE: the last used wax,polish,cloth,carwash etc.
3M's Finesse-it II polish and a foam buffer pad at 1500-2500 rpm will generally make ANY color of paint crystal clear with a good eye.( providing of course that your paint isn't needing a deeper corrective product, such as the Micro-polish or other compounds prior:( )
Wax with your Non-cleaner wax/sealant of choice afterwards.....remembering to use a damp applicant,not dry. I prefer a small,very soft,damp terry towel or micro fiber cloth.ALWAYS AWAY FROM DIRECT SUNLIGHT HEAT ! Cool paint,but LOTS of ambient surrounding light and get down as low as you can to the earth to look upwards as you remove and hand buff the wax off so as not to miss any .The damp applicator helps you by allowing any excess wax to be more easily removed from unwanted crevices as you go.
Use Halogen lights when you machine polish for the best real amount of visual swirl....that is if your brave enough to look for it to eliminate it !;)
Get to it !,Vinny

rreimund
07-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Personally, I'm partial to the Zaino family of products.
Although I've also used the 3M Perfect-It on occasion.
I just did the Zaino system, although I ran out of time (I was doing it on two cars simultaneously) and only did one coat of the final polish (They say the more you do, the deeper the shine).

My buddy took some pictures and they are on his flickr account. (here) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tssparky/sets/72157600778718217/)

This is a sample of what my original 18 year old paint ended up looking like (picture is linked to the original full-sized image):
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1280/787586823_01f5ada41e.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=787586823&size=o)

Even the top of the bumper is reflective.. I think the new roundel also helps (the old one was blue and silver because the white on the propeller had worn off)

gjmane36
07-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Dont forget to print off their rebate from Duponts website. At least you will ger your money back.

Rick L
07-12-2007, 06:58 PM
For faded bumper: Try polishing compound like GS27 (see link below). It works GREAT for removing scratches and faded paint! After polishing, apply Liquid Glass... You would be very happy with the result!!! Trust me!!! :D

http://www.gs-27.com/?source=gg&camp=gs27&grp=gs&term=gs27&s_kwcid=gs27|746661319&gclid=CMb69vKeo40CFSGkQAod_FT33g

So you did. :) I am hoping it will help my fading rear bumper. I have an area where the clear coat is breaking down. Will see how it looks today. No plans to use it elsewhere on the car.

gjmane36
07-12-2007, 10:03 PM
That looks really Great!

94_e34_525i
07-12-2007, 11:17 PM
I used alot of waxes from Meguires to Zaino system. In my experience for an instant shine use meguires, but the zaino stuff is good after it cures even though use the instant cure stuff. BTW, which zymol are you guys refering to the Cleaner Wax or the expensive concours stuff?

gjmane36
07-13-2007, 05:54 PM
That would be the Cleaner Wax...

Russell
07-13-2007, 06:37 PM
For faded bumper: Try polishing compound like GS27 (see link below). It works GREAT for removing scratches and faded paint! After polishing, apply Liquid Glass... You would be very happy with the result!!! Trust me!!! :D

http://www.gs-27.com/?source=gg&camp=gs27&grp=gs&term=gs27&s_kwcid=gs27|746661319&gclid=CMb69vKeo40CFSGkQAod_FT33g
Thanks Rick, I may give it try. I have several scratch removers and polishes. Wwould GS27 work better? I will try the Liquid Glass.

gjmane36
07-13-2007, 06:53 PM
I appreciate your information. I just threw out all my old rags, and went to microfiber. I think that was a major source of my problem. I will post pics of the results.

gjmane36
07-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Well, here are a few shot after using Zymel. It rained this morning and I have not had a chance to clean her up so please keep that in mind.