PDA

View Full Version : Lexol leather care

nixter
07-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Tried this out on my leather last night and WOW! Completely rejuvinated my seats! The usual areas on the driver's seat with wear, fading and even some slight cracking looks nearly new again!. The stuff comes in 2 parts, a cleaner and a conditioner. The only down side is that the cleaner removed some sort of leather paint (leatherique?) that a PO must have used at some point on the side bolster. Still looks fabulous though. Just had time to do the one seat last night but I will be doing to whole car this weekend.

Tiger
07-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Lexol is not a good product to use... Leatherique is the best and the only one you should use.

Ross
07-06-2007, 02:28 PM
I have used Lexol for ~30 years and have always been pleased. What problems have you had?

nixter
07-06-2007, 02:50 PM
I was under the impression that leatherique was a leather repair/cover up product. Lexol is a cleaner/ conditioner widely regarded in many industries as the best leather care product.

Ross
07-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Another fine one is Effax. Buy it at tack shops.

Tiger
07-06-2007, 03:56 PM
It doesn't clean... it is like any other leather cleaner stuff you buy at the local store... barely cleans anything and clogs up the leather pores with silicone.

When you try Leatherique, you will see the difference. I once did a test on my friend's car... he told me he had the stuff that the detail shop used to clean leather seat and also Lexol stuff... I was like... "what difference? I can't see it cleaner than before... Then I sprayed Leatherique Rejuvenator on his seat bottom and let bake for the day (8 hours) (longer soaking time yield tremendous difference)... Anyway... so I then wiped his seat bottom with Leatherique Pristine Klean... and boom... his seat is now a two-tone.

He freaked out... was like brand new car seat color (light grey)... and freaked out his seat is now a two tone... LOL... He then had me do the whole car the following week.

I used to use Lexol too... I still have it now... sitting on a shelf.

nixter
07-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Check your facts. Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner does not have silicone in it. Lexol Vinylex for vinyl care does. If you or your buddy used Vinylex on your leather that would indeed be bad.

Boom.

gtopaul
07-06-2007, 09:06 PM
I've been using Lexol for 25 years on my seats and on my Italian leather couch. Never had any problems with it. Use it about every 3 months.

Paul

Ross
07-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Cleans just fine for me. Learned of it from from my riding days. If it'll clean horse sweat and...um waste, it'll clean your car.

CharlesAFerg
07-07-2007, 01:10 PM
It doesn't clean... it is like any other leather cleaner stuff you buy at the local store... barely cleans anything and clogs up the leather pores with silicone.

When you try Leatherique, you will see the difference. I once did a test on my friend's car... he told me he had the stuff that the detail shop used to clean leather seat and also Lexol stuff... I was like... "what difference? I can't see it cleaner than before... Then I sprayed Leatherique Rejuvenator on his seat bottom and let bake for the day (8 hours) (longer soaking time yield tremendous difference)... Anyway... so I then wiped his seat bottom with Leatherique Pristine Klean... and boom... his seat is now a two-tone.

He freaked out... was like brand new car seat color (light grey)... and freaked out his seat is now a two tone... LOL... He then had me do the whole car the following week.

lol! dude, that leatherique system is mainly for after you have completely sanded and stripped your seats of paint. Lexol is great, natural product.

Jehu
07-07-2007, 01:24 PM

I used the Leatherique Rejuvinator oil and prestene clean and found they did improve the feel and appearance of the seats but My seats in places have that hardened surface .I read on the leatherique site for that you need to use sand paper wet and get that off but i thought that would also remove Dye and then i'd need to redy and since i need the car for daily use i've just never had the time to do that. I thought i read they say to use their prepping agent after sanding will that leave my Dye intact and i can soften without having to redye?

Tiger
07-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Sanding is only for those seat that has been painted to look good. If the leather is never altered, the oil soaks right in.

BuckNaked
07-07-2007, 03:08 PM
The real beauty of leather is the natural patina that develops with age. The feel of broken-in leather is what it's all about. While my buffalo skin is laid up sitting in the drive I'm cruising Buick velour. It's kinda like wearing a leisure suit to a black tie dinner. It makes us sweat... it burns us.
Saddle soap and mink oil works for me. I never really gave it much thought because the saddle soap does such a good job. I did have a problem with gum early on. My son had it on his pants and transferred it to the seat, but that came off.
Leatherique sounds more like an intense cleaning for drastic results, whereas proper maintainance calls for keeping the skin supple. It must put on the lotion.